TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Exhaust Paint Problems, Flame Proof ?
donbarnes Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:38 pm

Ive had good luck in the past with the black VHT Flame-Proof, but on the last builds on my Baja and the Suby in my rail Ive used the silver Flame Proof, even used the Flame Proof primer with it the second time, but it has failed miserbly three times now, flakes off or just turns to dust.. Is there a difference between the black and silver, or quality just gone down on VHT in general? Anybody know a better rattle-can/DIY high heat paint? I want to get them Jet-Hot coated, but need to sell a kidney and get a second mortgage so I can afford it.. someone suggested powder coating, but the powder coating Ive seen on bike exhausts didnt hold up any better than the black VHT used to. I tried some high dollar brush on stuff I ordered online (master series maybe?), it didnt hold up at all, bonded gooder than hell as my buddy used to say in some places, flaked off in others... Living on the coast leaving them bare isnt an option, rust away to nothing quickly :( . Thanks..

jcmyers Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:05 pm

Most places that do powder coat, also do ceramic coat.

I had my intake and exhaust ceramic coated and used silver VHT on the exhaust side of the turbo. I then had some oil leak issues with my turbo and after fixing the turbo, I covered up the oil drips on the ceramic coated exaust with VHT. havn't had any issues with it.

I didn't spray it on thick though, very light spray where it was needed.

edit: I think a tri-mill exhaust would be under $150 to ceramic coat at most places.

enjoyther1de Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:42 pm

It's not just you. I've seen the silver flake twice, whereas the black held up just fine.

donbarnes Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:01 pm

I need to call some other places about ceramic coating.. Is there much difference in ceramic coatings as far as durability? I want to say when I got my Mopar manifolds done by Jet-Hot about 5-6 years ago it was over $600, but I dont know how much of that you are just paying for the name?

jcmyers Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:05 pm

not sure of the difference between the two either, other than huge amount of cash. oil doesn't just wipe off ceramic coating, like it does powder coating though, which is why i ended up using VHT to cover the stains

PhillipM Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:06 pm

Massive, the plasma sprayed stuff is so much better than the paint/powdercoat types it's silly.
I don't find the former last any time at all, they burn off after a few hard runs.

Dr OnHolliday Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:48 pm

Rustoleum has "High Heat" "2000 F" black paint (don't just get the barbecue stuff). Home Depot has it.

I used it on my Baja exhaust and its done pretty well...doesn't burn off, but after a year I have a couple of rusty spots to clean up and respray

mr_bill Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:18 pm

ceramic coated...........doesn't get any better :!: :!: also intake is ceramic coated black

sloboatnova Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:33 pm

My tri-mill ceramic coated header is rusting bad and it's less than a year old. I heard somewhere about breaking them in by coating with wd-40, then wiping off before first use, but sounds like crap to me.

MFE 3 Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:46 pm

I've had good luck removing rust and polishing ceramic coated exhaust wtih Mother's Alum polish.

Jerkhalter Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:00 pm

donbarnes wrote: Ive had good luck in the past with the black VHT Flame-Proof, but on the last builds on my Baja and the Suby in my rail Ive used the silver Flame Proof, even used the Flame Proof primer with it the second time, but it has failed miserbly three times now, flakes off or just turns to dust.. Is there a difference between the black and silver, or quality just gone down on VHT in general? Anybody know a better rattle-can/DIY high heat paint? I want to get them Jet-Hot coated, but need to sell a kidney and get a second mortgage so I can afford it.. someone suggested powder coating, but the powder coating Ive seen on bike exhausts didnt hold up any better than the black VHT used to. I tried some high dollar brush on stuff I ordered online (master series maybe?), it didnt hold up at all, bonded gooder than hell as my buddy used to say in some places, flaked off in others... Living on the coast leaving them bare isnt an option, rust away to nothing quickly :( . Thanks..

Did you bake parts in oven afterwards? I pretty sure it say to bake in oven afterwards or start motor to warm them up and cook it on. Ive hade my headers ceramic coated before and it held up great.

CBFLbikerider Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:44 am

Dr OnHolliday wrote: Rustoleum has "High Heat" "2000 F" black paint (don't just get the barbecue stuff). Home Depot has it.

I used it on my Baja exhaust and its done pretty well...doesn't burn off, but after a year I have a couple of rusty spots to clean up and respray
Ditto on this. I have to repaint asI used the barbecue stuff. Lasted about 6 months with minimal use. Live and learn.... :)

Bajabrett Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:54 pm

I got my baja exhaust ceramic coated silver. It costed $300 but it was worth it. Looks great and not problems with paint. The stuff they used was called cerekote.

Theres what it looks like