TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Living VANcariously
robbiesell Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:58 pm

Hello fello VW lovers!

I recently finished a 25,000 mile cross-country adventure in my van, where I explored all the beautiful and bizarre locations in the land.

Get comfortable, and click over for some entertainment and inspiration for your next travels:

www.LivingVANcariously.com

Cheers,
Robbie Sell

Zeen Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:39 pm

Cool trip, but was it really necessary to bust out the southern incest cliche?

Makes you look like an annoying self-absorbed hipster.

kevtherev Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:55 pm

kin'ell that's a trip right there, smokin'!
You must have used a lot of ... diesel

My friends tell me Reno is a shithole, can you confirm this?

TheDon Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:23 pm

Zeen wrote: Cool trip, but was it really necessary to bust out the southern incest cliche?

Agreed.....

far rider Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:37 pm

Great trip and photography. Thanks for posting!

Cali_Army_Guy Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:28 am

kevtherev wrote:

My friends tell me Reno is a shithole, can you confirm this?

They weren't lying. I live about 2 hours from there. Reno sucks. The only reason to go to Reno is for the annual Hot August Nights classic car show.

robbiesell Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:28 am

TheDon wrote: Zeen wrote: Cool trip, but was it really necessary to bust out the southern incest cliche?

Agreed.....

Thanks, I appreciate that you took the time to comment.

crukab Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:20 pm

robbiesell wrote: TheDon wrote: Zeen wrote: Cool trip, but was it really necessary to bust out the southern incest cliche?

Agreed.....

Thats a nice Samba welcome..... :roll:

Ok Zeen, I'm old & don't get the "southern incest cliche" in the term "living Vancariously".... please es-plane.

iowegian Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:37 am

crukab wrote: robbiesell wrote: TheDon wrote: Zeen wrote: Cool trip, but was it really necessary to bust out the southern incest cliche?

Agreed.....

Ok Zeen, I'm old & don't get the "southern incest cliche" in the term "living Vancariously".... please es-plane.
It looks to me like it was the traveler's reaction to a racist billboard in Arkansas.
http://www.livingvancariously.com/blog/2015/6/6/arkansas

EverettB Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:42 am

iowegian wrote: crukab wrote: robbiesell wrote: TheDon wrote: Zeen wrote: Cool trip, but was it really necessary to bust out the southern incest cliche?

Agreed.....

It looks to me like it was the traveler's reaction to a racist billboard in Arkansas.

The billboard is a million times worse.

crukab Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:59 pm

iowegian wrote: crukab wrote: robbiesell wrote: TheDon wrote: Zeen wrote: Cool trip, but was it really necessary to bust out the southern incest cliche?

Agreed.....

AHHHH , got it, I guess now I just wonder why robbiesell would equate just whites w/ Incest ?? Or anyone thinking it's confined to the south ??

To tell the truth, I never bother to click on any link that says-- "Hey look at me, I'm rich enough to travel all over and not have a real job" type stories. Yes I know, pleanty of folks work while traveling, but usually they have to have some serious coin to travel like that, just one old farts narrow minded thoughts..... carry on.... :sleeping:

robbiesell Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:38 pm

[quote="crukab"][quote="iowegian"] crukab wrote:

AHHHH , got it, I guess now I just wonder why robbiesell would equate just whites w/ Incest ??

To tell the truth, I never bother to click on any link that says-- "Hey look at me, I'm rich enough to travel all over and not have a real job" type stories. Yes I know, pleanty of folks work while traveling, but usually they have to have some serious coin to travel like that, just one old farts narrow minded thoughts..... carry on.... :sleeping:

Hey crukab,

You've watched Deliverance or Gummo, right?

Anyhow, that's fine, you can't make everybody happy; my target audience was millennials living off trust funds. While traveling I made money by producing marketing content for brands who's consumer is the same. Use a Stanley Thermos to keep your coffee warm while hiking Zion...

Have a good day.

vdubyah73 Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:06 pm

I'm far from rich, I'm too old to be a millennial hipster, to young to retire. My house has wheels and a BB Chevy. Bombing around the southwest in a 34 ft motorhome is awesome. Stop for a while take a job. Don't like job or neighbors start your house and move on.

Don't like my choices? My guess is the whole idea of living like this scares the poop outta you.

Bill

c21darrel Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:41 pm

Quote: my target audience was millennials living off trust funds.
classic! and hilarious.

djkeev Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:53 pm

Nice to see this kind of crap ^^^'happens in other forums and not just Vanagon!

To the OP..... Welcome! Thanks for posting your trip.

Rich or poor, trips are great!

Mine this Summer was only 7,000 miles, I Have a job and had to get home! :wink:

Dave

vanagonjr Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:53 am

[quote="robbiesell"][quote="crukab"][quote="iowegian"] crukab wrote:
While traveling I made money by producing marketing content for brands who's consumer is the same. Use a Stanley Thermos to keep your coffee warm while hiking Zion...y.
Not sure I understand, but you get paid for product placement in the blog per say, or is it by clicking a link within the blog (which I believe I have seen a few times)?

EverettB Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:43 am

vanagonjr wrote: robbiesell wrote: While traveling I made money by producing marketing content for brands who's consumer is the same. Use a Stanley Thermos to keep your coffee warm while hiking Zion...
Not sure I understand, but you get paid for product placement in the blog per say, or is it by clicking a link within the blog (which I believe I have seen a few times)?

I'll answer since I'm sort of familiar with this advertising:
It's usually when people click on it.
You get more if they actually buy something.
The buying something doesn't have to be right away either, it's usually up to a week later.

robbiesell Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:09 am

EverettB wrote: vanagonjr wrote: robbiesell wrote: While traveling I made money by producing marketing content for brands who's consumer is the same. Use a Stanley Thermos to keep your coffee warm while hiking Zion...

I'll answer since I'm sort of familiar with this advertising:
It's usually when people click on it.
You get more if they actually buy something.
The buying something doesn't have to be right away either, it's usually up to a week later.

Showcasing the product on my blog with the hyperlink to the brand are an added bonus, just showing my marketing savvy and helping them with a little extra exposure.

The cash came from creating exclusive content for the brands to use in their social outlets. I'm a professional photographer, and pitched particular product shots/lookbooks in hard-to-reach locations that were already determined. Also since my tour had a theme that was relative to a lot of the outdoor brand's consumers, I also became an ambassador of sorts as well.

Some classic Marketing 101 right here.