TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Fat Tires Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
VirtuallyReal Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:30 pm

Ok guys i need some advise:

When i bought my bus it came with 5-spoke aftermarket rims and a set of Michelin 215/70/R15 on the rear.

Although i really like the look of these "fat" tires, i'm facing a problem:

The simple task of changing a tire is more difficult than usual, because when the bus is lifted, there's simply NO GAP to release the tire.

I have to COMPLETELY DEFLATE the tire, push the edge in, and then pull it down in order to get it out. I also have to lift the jack a bit higher than normal, so the tire can have more clearance from the ground.

When the bus is on the ground, there is JUST enough clearance to prevent the tires to touch the wheel wells vertically (i don't have the exact measure), so, i have no tire rash, or any other issues while running the bus, my only problem is when i have to take the tires off.

The bus is almost ready for paint, and i wish to sort this out before that, because i fear i'll end up scratching or bending the borders of my freshly painted wheel arches if i do it afterwards.

Here's a pic to better illustrate the issue:

So, here are my questions:

- What tire would you guys recommend? i want to preserve as much of the "fat" look as possible, while being able to change a tire just as normal people do :D.

- Is tirerack.com the best place to source the tires? any other/better place?

- BTW while i'm at it, i also need to replace some of the (stepped) lugs on the drums, any advise on where to get them? i already checked WW and found nothing.

Thanks in advance.

Erik G Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:39 pm

welcome to owning a lowered bus

Some people take the axle completely out of the spring plate. Some people use a scissor jack to force the spring plate down, making it easier to change the tire.

VirtuallyReal Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:50 pm

:shock:

Please tell me there's a less cumbersome option... like changing to a narrower tire...

I noticed that the tire walls on this particular Michelins (215/70/R15) are more bloated than a standard tire...

With no load they look more like this:

( )

... instead of this:

| |

...so, maybe a different tire will at least reduce the problem, don't you think?

srfndoc Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:53 pm

The offset of your rims is what is making it challenging. Moving to another rim (like a stock bus rim) would help.

Erik G Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:26 pm

Stock wheels, not bulging tires, was still a pain to change 'em - It's part of being lowered. 2 people it was fine, insert jack handle between torsion par and upper bump, and use leverage

This one, had to take the axles out of the spring plates

imtb Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:30 pm

Wagen west adjutable spring plates help.

I have 205/60/15 in rear and could maybe change a flat on the side of road.

pyrOman Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:33 pm

"Fender Roll"! Though not lowered, I do like the phat tires. Did the fender roll before paint also. 8)

mandraks Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:51 pm

pyrOman wrote: "Fender Roll"! Though not lowered, I do like the phat tires. Did the fender roll before paint also. 8)

nice looking benz :)

imtb Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:58 pm

Fender roll looks good, did you use a baseball bat?

mandraks Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:04 pm

VirtuallyReal wrote: :shock:

Please tell me there's a less cumbersome option... like changing to a narrower tire...

I noticed that the tire walls on this particular Michelins (215/70/R15) are more bloated than a standard tire...

( )

... instead of this:

| |

...so, maybe a different tire will at least reduce the problem, don't you think?

I used to run a 195/65/15 on my 66, on the good old (1990s) 356 style mangels chrome 5.5s, ton of room

G-wood Todd Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:27 pm

Do you have studs that stick out of the drum or do you have lug bolts? Studs that stick out of the drum will make it impossible to change out the rear tire.

I run a 195 60 15. I have to use a scissor jack above the axle tube to change it out. It looks like you sit a little higher and a smaller tire MIGHT clear.

GTV Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:48 pm

VirtuallyReal wrote:

( )

... instead of this:

| |

You have 8.5" tires on 5.5" rims, hence the ( )
The rims also have a lot more positive offset than the stock wheels, making the problem worse.
Aluminium wheels use studs in the drums, giving you yet another hurdle to get around.
Lowered busses are just a pain in the ass in that department :)

pyrOman Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:19 pm

imtb wrote: Fender roll looks good, did you use a baseball bat?

Yes. You can also use a pipe but will need some sort of protection against the fender as you roll it. Buy a cheap bat at your local sporting goods store. That's what I did to get a cheap football for dent popping. :P

mandraks wrote: nice looking benz :)

Sure was! Had 2 of them at one time! 8)

Sold the white one and eventually just plain junked the grey one. The working on it got old. :(

crukab Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:21 pm

imtb wrote:

I have 205/60/15 in rear and could maybe change a flat on the side of road.

Now THAT ^^^^ is some funny shit right there !!

Haze the Lowered :lol: :lol: :lol:

DiggerD Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:46 pm

This is why I'm glad the rear torsion on my bus has been narrowed. I have ran a 225 and not had any problems changing the tire. Right now I'm running a 215 and I can get my hand between the fender lip and tire and also between the tire and spring plate.

VirtuallyReal Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:02 pm

GTV wrote: You have 8.5" tires on 5.5" rims, hence the ( )

So, basically what need is a, let's say, 7.6" (195mm) tire?

Also, if i reduce the aspect ratio to 60mm instead of 70mm, things might be easier.

That would be a 195/60/R15 tire vs. the current 215/70/R15 ones.

I don't have experience on custom tires / lowered vehicles, so, is there a better place to source that tire online, other than tirerack.com?

BTW i live in Florida.

pyrOman Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:14 pm

I use this Tire Calculator often. Plug in the numbers of what you have now and compare it what you want to get. It's a great tool. 8)

Erik G Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:14 pm

aspect ratio is not a fixed MM height. It's the percentage of the section width

mandraks Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:21 pm

that is a nice calculator.

it shows that at 65 mph the 195/60/15s would be 7 mph slower than the 215/70/15s

195/65/15s would be 5 mph slower

VirtuallyReal Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:26 pm

That's a very nice calculator! thanks.

If i switch to 195/60/R15 i'll get:

- 1.32 inch decrease in the sidewall height.
- 0.78 inch decrease in width.

That should do the trick.

Any particular tire brand(s) recommended?
Any particular tire brand(s) to avoid?

Thanks guys, looks like i'll be buying some tires today :D