TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Ida the Bus - Hello From Lake County, MN! Page: 1, 2  Next
Togz Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:45 pm

For 20 years since high school, I'd dreamed of owning a bus. It's almost embarrassing the amount I looked at classified adds and bus forums all the whole convincing myself that owning yet another part time vehicle in the snow buried woods of Northern Minnesota was a silly obsession. One day this fall, I came across this 1978 Baywindow Westie off Highway 3 on the skirts of Two Harbors. I called the fellow selling it and confessed that though I did not have what he was asking, that I was the right fellow to own the bus. Turns out he'd bought it back in 1993, replaced the motor and took some epic trips with his wife to the West Coast. In recent years, age and health and grand parent responsibilities emerged and the bus sat albeit cared for the last decade. Every few days I would call and check up and remind him that my offer was still standing. Eventually he called me back to inform me that his wife who was emotionally rattled by the thought of selling it from sentimental attachment was the reason behind accepting my bid (which was fair by all means) since she felt it would be neat to see it around town still. I brought it to a mechanic buddy in hopes to get some help getting the spider webs out and a few very minor alterations later, I am happy to report it runs like new it seems and as of today, it is back in my pole barn where the exterior project will begin immediately. Looking at a long list of German names, I came across Ida - the name of my beloved and late grandmother who although street smart as a tack, carried this raw Polyanna like sense of complete optimism and positivity never to be forgotten. I am so happy that I finally get to become a novice in this club - or rather this community. It is real honor and I plan to use this forum regularly as the journey continues. I think the saying goes, "it takes a village". It's great to be alive. Tim "Togz" Fischer 11/16/2015

busdaddy Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:59 pm

Welcome and congratulations!
I see a lot of potential there, please replace all the fuel lines before exterior issues become the least of your worries.

hansie Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:00 pm

Congrats , you are in a great place here. Don't be afraid to ask questions there are a lot of great people here. Main thing is take care of her and she will do the same for you !!

wcfvw69 Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:18 pm

That's a nice foundation to build on there with your bus! I also agree with fuel lines and mechanical refresh/inspection before worrying about cosmetic's. Too many buses burn due to owners not changing old fuel lines in old VW's.. I'd just change them all and not risk it if Id just bought that bus.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=266181

Read this thread above. Also, inspect the brakes and rubber hoses as well. Then inspect the rest of the buses systems to insure it's safe to drive down the road.

Lots of good information on this site and most has been discussed many times. The stickies is a good place to start reading.

Tcash Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:35 pm

Welcome to TheSamba!

Tcash wrote: Here is a little information. Good Luck

Pictures would be cool.
How to post photos/How to post a photo in the Forums

Pronunciation (Samba) English

I am thinking of buying a VW van
Cleaning+Rodents+Hantavirus
Up in smoke... Bus fires... don't let it happen to you!
M-Plate Location
M-Plate Decoder Volkswagen Type 2 Bus
Bus VIN / Chassis Numbers
Type 2/Bus Owner's Manuals
Bus repair manuals
Bus parts manuals
Early Baywindow Bus Parts Book
Late Baywindow Bus Parts Fiche
Type 2 Wiring Diagrams
Model and Year Variations
Type 4: Secrets Revealed
Distributor Parts & Specifications
PARTS INTERCHANGE MANUAL
Youtube Videos

There is a ton of information located at the top of the Forum section.

Kirk Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:14 pm

Welcome aboard!

Togz Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:33 pm

Thank you! Its going to be a long winter and the truth is I won't have the consistent temps to get into paint until spring so I will prioritize the fuel lines! I will be sure to add pictures as I go too. First ?. The guy I bought it from said he replaced the fuel lines in the late 90's , actually he said he thought he had. What do you look for to see if they had or is it just best to assume they are spent and replace them anyway as 17/18 years is enough time to warrent it? Again thanks for your warm welcome!

obieoberstar Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:26 pm

When in doubt about fuel lines, it is best to assume they have not been changed and replace them all. Even the ones to the injectors.

While you are at it this winter, don't forget the soft lines of the brake system.

That should give you a few projects to work on.

Remember, you want to drive it in the spring and not work on it. Now is the time to do it right.

The Pilch Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:50 pm

That's a cool lookin bus, what an exciting time it is bringing a bus home!

Looking forward to seeing the progress!

Togz Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:00 pm

Here are a couple more. I took some pics of the engine area. It might be hard to see since I haven't had a chance to clean it up but it looks like some of the lines have been replaced with braided lines but there are others that are still the black rubber hoses. Another thing that I just realized is that I filled the gas tank about 3/4 full before bringing it home since the mechanic buddy had drained all the old shitty gas out since it had been sitting so long. I assume having a full tank is going to make replacing fuel lines a lot more fun? One other note is that the gas gauge doesn't work.

nodrenim Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:46 am

Braided fuel lines are usually the old lines and the rubber lines are likely the newer ones. I would definitely replace ALL the fuel lines as well as the brake hoses. It is much easier and cheaper to replace the lines than to replace the whole bus. Check out the thread about bus fires, it is one of the saddest things you can imagine. If that doesn't wake you up, you have yet to be born. Peace and good luck, you have joined the best journey life can lead you on!

Togz Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:39 am

Thanks. Totally, the Bus Fire threads certainly have my attention. Probably a dumb question but I should syphon as much of the gas out of the tank as possible before disconnecting the old hoses?

busdaddy Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:47 am

Not a bad idea, sometimes you miss when trying to shove the new (temporarily plugged) hose onto the tank outlet, or you get a suprise like it breaks off suddenly, gas showers are no fun. Disconnect the battery before playing around near the starter as well.

Bala Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:59 am

Welcome! That bus needs some love, but looks like a great start!

eche_bus Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:57 pm

Welcome! Great to see another Minnesotan here (there aren't many of us here) and a new late bay Westy! Best of luck getting your new bus back in good driving shape!

Togz Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:23 pm

Man, I am lame. When I joined the forum I was convinced I would update this post as often as I could updating my progress as I so enjoy following yours. Here is 7 months or so later and not only have I not done so but I've made the mistake of not documenting so much of the work I've done including the most exhaustive parts with mechanical fixes and rust repair.

So here is what I had on my phone... Not quite to that glorious Beers and Bays moment but I'm getting there!

It didn't start out so pretty

what looked like minor surface rust unveiled so much more

Then the "little bit of bondo" turned out to be entire panels of bondo. Much thicker than it ever really needed too

After months and months of body love it was time to paint. After tons and tons of research, I decided to go with using Monstaliner. Ida is intended on being more of driver than a looker and I wanted to craft something I could functionally take camping and such in the deep woods. Since Monstaliner is a tintable bedliner typically used on jeeps and offroad vehicles, it will hopefully work to provide a durable yet decent looking coat able to withstand branches and the inevitable flying rocks kicked up off the gravel roads traveled in all the cool parts of Northern MN. The Yank My Doodle color seemed to match up decently with the Mexico Beige the bus originally had. It had been painted somewhere along the line a more of a yellow color and due to the obscene amount of bondo work and Minnesota rust, there was just no chance of working the original paint out.

The weather would not agree with me until finally a clear, super hot day came around on a weekend. The paint went on great, perfectly sticking to the carefully primed and sanded surface. It is applied with a special roller. I ordered two gallons which was a perfect amount considering I didn't bother to paint any of the interior. I failed to pay attention to the advice on the website and with other Samba peops who used the product and didn't opt for the additional rollers. Big mistake. The 4 rollers provided only lasted the first gallon. I then ordered more, had to wait for another opportunistic day with my luck of horseshit weather put me out another 2 weeks and had me sand down the first coat in order to achieve adhesion qualities on the third and forth coats. All in all, I am happy with how its turned out.

Upgraded the lights to those Hella straight bulb inserts, MUCH better.

The top I am in the process of redoing at the moment and have just finished painting with Introlux PreKote and Brightside marine paint.

Another thing I did was some of my black vent covers had lost most of their black paint, I decided to accent these with dark green that will hopefully match the Sunbrella poptop I have yet to install

Granted they look much nicer now with all coats and installed back in the cabin.

For the moment that's all I have but I will have more soon. The Samba has been a daily inspiration and a source for everything I touch. I can't thank you all enough for all of your help, guidance and encouragement.

Life is good.

zoobum Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:24 pm

Nice work.

I do agree with you, it would have been nice to see those in-between pictures of the progress.

Looking forward to more...

Mulcheese Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:07 pm

Togz great bus and even better story inheriting her. Another funny story. I also acquired my van, not a bay but still an AC, in Lake County. We lived in Two Harbors for a time years ago and one day we see this van sitting in town for sale. Here we are 12 years later and running better than ever.

There are more of us around than you can imagine. You just have to look.

Great work and enjoy the van.
http://www.itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12595

Togz Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:10 pm

Mulcheese wrote: Togz great bus and even better story inheriting her. Another funny story. I also acquired my van, not a bay but still an AC, in Lake County. We lived in Two Harbors for a time years ago and one day we see this van sitting in town for sale. Here we are 12 years later and running better than ever.

There are more of us around than you can imagine. You just have to look.

Great work and enjoy the van.
http://www.itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12595

That's awesome Grover. Not just another Minnesota bus but another monstaliner one as well. Love what you've done. Yeah there are a few up here still. Ranging from a mint condition 1990 westy the florist drives in the summer to a few dozen rust riddled lawn ornaments out in the sticks, its that kind of zip.code for sure. :).

Togz Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:14 pm

A few more pics since I am online.

I went with green hookups.

Somehow landed the coveted ICCULUS plate.

New decals. I think the original didn't have the westy script across the front (only 79?) but I think it looks sexy as fuck.