TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Oil Pump malfunction systoms.
Da-vids Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:44 am

Greetings,

I have a 2276 F/injected turbo charged daily driver and having a oil pressure issue. When the car is cold the oil pressure is high but as soon as it reached operating tempreture (180F /80 C) the oil pressure drops to 5-8 Psi at idle 850-1000 Rpm and triggers the oil light switch. Once the RPM is above 1000 the Oil pressure increase with the RPM and the light goes off.

I have checked both springs and pistons for the Oil pressure valves in the engine case (Front & Rear) and they show no signs of wear/damaged.

I have on a 30mm oil pump with the 1800cc Oil Cooler and 30 Row aluminum oil cooler with a Fan controlled by a thermostat.

What could be causing this?

theDrew Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:13 pm

umm we need the most crucial piece....what weight oil?

Da-vids Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:30 pm

20w-50

Dale M. Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:41 pm

Oil pressure is typical progressive at about 10psi for every 1000rpm up to 4000rpm.... Less than 10 psi at idle is not necessarily bad.... Could be a bit better at idle... What are you using for sender, if VDO it brings oil light on about 7-8 psi where stock VW sender is around 3-4 psi....

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=220755

Dale

vince1 Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:34 pm

Remove your gasket between pump and cover, install it just with sealant. If the gasket is thick it'll drop oil press at idle.

Da-vids Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:17 am

Examined Pump and gasket and all were in good condition. Problem still exist. So is it safe to assume it the Crankshaft bearings that are worn? Can i still drive with 5psi at Idle?

Dale M. Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:13 am

Da-vids wrote: Examined Pump and gasket and all were in good condition. Problem still exist. So is it safe to assume it the Crankshaft bearings that are worn? Can i still drive with 5psi at Idle?

At "idle" basically there is no load on engine (figuratively speaking), as rpm comes up if oil pressure comes up, its probably ok for now.....

dale

Dan Ruddock Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:24 am

Are you using the VDO dual wire sender? Those turn on the light too soon. With a stock light sender it won't come on. How loose do the valves get when warm? This also effects oil pressure.

Dan

HRVW Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:28 pm

:idea: One thing not mentioned is the possibility of the gear on the pump shaft not spinning and when HOT will slip.......low oil pressure.

Had this on a engine that drove me nutz (mentioned on another thread).

It could be a RARE thing but all it takes is a ONE TIME headache

[email protected] Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:14 pm

5-8psi, he's using a VDO dual pole sender, hence the problem.

Da-vids wrote: Greetings,

I have a 2276 F/injected turbo charged daily driver and having a oil pressure issue. When the car is cold the oil pressure is high but as soon as it reached operating tempreture (180F /80 C) the oil pressure drops to 5-8 Psi at idle 850-1000 Rpm and triggers the oil light switch. Once the RPM is above 1000 the Oil pressure increase with the RPM and the light goes off.

I have checked both springs and pistons for the Oil pressure valves in the engine case (Front & Rear) and they show no signs of wear/damaged.

I have on a 30mm oil pump with the 1800cc Oil Cooler and 30 Row aluminum oil cooler with a Fan controlled by a thermostat.

What could be causing this?

Kjell Roar Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:17 am

Original Oil pressure switch is 0.25 bar, thats 3.7 psi. Many People put in a 0,5 bar pressure switch (7 psi), thats probably causing you "problem".

So, don't worry. With that oilpump I would use thinner Oil for better oilflow & cooling

easy e Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:02 pm

Have read the thicker pump to case gasket causes pressure issues if used on the pump cover... using the thin paper gasket on the cover?

Thick:
http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Oil-Pump-Gasket-Oil-Pump-to-Case-111-115-111B-p/111-115-111b.htm

Thin:
http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Oil-Pump-Gasket-Oil-Pump-to-Cover-111-115-131B-p/111-115-131b.htm

Dale M. Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:48 pm

easy e wrote: Have read the thicker pump to case gasket causes pressure issues if used on the pump cover... using the thin paper gasket on the cover?

Thick:
http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Oil-Pump-Gasket-Oil-Pump-to-Case-111-115-111B-p/111-115-111b.htm

Thin:
http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Oil-Pump-Gasket-Oil-Pump-to-Cover-111-115-131B-p/111-115-131b.htm

ALWAYS use thinnest gasket...

Dale

Scott Novak Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:51 pm

Da-vids wrote: Examined Pump and gasket and all were in good condition.

What does good condition mean? Did you measure the clearance between the end of the gears and the face of the oil pump?

If you could measure any clearance at all it might be worth the effort to remove the oil pump, lay a piece of wet or dry sandpaper on a flat surface, wet it, and then lay the pump with gears installed face down on the sandpaper and wet sand it, occasionally turning the gears until the face of the pump is flush with the ends of the gears.

Then clean the pump, reinstall it and use the thinnest gasket possible. Some people are suggesting not to use any gasket and only use a sealer.

It won't cure any other engine problems, but it will increase the oil pressure a bit a low RPM.

Scott Novak

Bajaman65 Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:27 pm

Scott Novak wrote:
What does good condition mean? Did you measure the clearance between the end of the gears and the face of the oil pump?

If you could measure any clearance at all it might be worth the effort to remove the oil pump, lay a piece of wet or dry sandpaper on a flat surface, wet it, and then lay the pump with gears installed face down on the sandpaper and wet sand it, occasionally turning the gears until the face of the pump is flush with the ends of the gears.

Then clean the pump, reinstall it and use the thinnest gasket possible. Some people are suggesting not to use any gasket and only use a sealer.

It won't cure any other engine problems, but it will increase the oil pressure a bit a low RPM.Scott Novak

X2 I have seen way to many pumps with excess clearance, it can make a world a difference. Good Luck and have Fun :wink:

Da-vids Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:00 pm

Thanks for the info. I'm using a stock/regular Oil light switch not vdo. Using the oil pump gasket that comes with overall kit.

Scott Novak Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:14 pm

Da-vids wrote: Thanks for the info. I'm using a stock/regular Oil light switch not vdo. Using the oil pump gasket that comes with overall kit.

The gasket between the oil pump and the cover comes in various thicknesses. I'd never install one without measuring the thickness first.

Any sealer that you apply to the face of the oil pump will have some thickness so it will automatically give you a little bit of clearance. Aluminum expands more than steel does so there will be more clearance when the engine warms up. (Assuming that you are using an aluminum bodied oil pump.)

The clearance reduces as the temperature drops, so it would be a good idea to either calculate the clearance reduction or measure it at subzero temperatures to make sure there it still some clearance.

Scott Novak

Air Cooleds Only Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:23 am

Did you measure the spring tension of the Pressure Relief & Control Springs? Used Springs are typically weaker from years of use.

Rear Spring (Relief) - Loaded @ 1.75"= 12.312-16 LBS Pressure
Front Spring (Control)- Loaded @ .75" = 7-8.5 LBS Pressure

MURZI Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:14 am

How does the typical VW hobbyist measure spring pressure? Pictures? What would the backyard guy "rig" to do this? Drill press and postage scale?

andy198712 Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:25 am

scales and a drill press if you got one?