TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1979 California Bus Distributor connector to harness questio
aeromech Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:02 pm

I just bought this distributor for use in a California 1979 FI bus that I'm switching back from carburetion. The problem is that the harness connector doesn't seem to fit the distributor connector and I've never worked with this before. Can someone please help me identify where my problem is?

skills@eurocarsplus Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:08 pm

looks to me like you have a GM weatherpack end on that harness.

I may have the correct end for that if you get in a jam. it's pretty much an early early early watercooled vw connector you need there

Bleyseng Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:11 pm

What is the part number on the dizzy as I have one of those sitting around with the connector

aeromech Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:13 pm

That's a nice offer Don. Let's see what the other guys say.

Clatter Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:15 pm

Ya, the connector on the distributor is correct.
That one on the module harness, not so much....

Vanagons had them, too, FWIW.

aeromech Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:17 pm

039 905 205 C

aeromech Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:19 pm

Clatter wrote: Ya, the connector on the distributor is correct.
That one on the module harness, not so much....

Vanagons had them, too, FWIW.

Yes, the $100 replacement distributor I just bought was actually from an air cooled Vanagon. The original had a broken plug in.

Wasted youth Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:11 am

Can you use the air cooled Vanagon male plug... as in cutting one off a bad/salvage wiring harness?

Also, as an aside... I discovered a weakness in the female side of those plugs (at least on one of my 1981 Vanagons) where the wiring meets up underneath the plug on the distributor. Wiring broke inside the insulation. Telltale was wiggling the plug around so the van would start and run. I carefully cut out the bad wires and soldered/shrinktubed in splices. Not recommended for long term use, but I bet it would get me to upstate New York. :lol:

Be on the lookout for such a problem with that plug.

Bleyseng Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:00 am

Mine is a 0 237 520 022 off a later one so I don't think it will work. Connector is different too as it's off a 1985 Vanagon

aeromech Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:09 am

Pretty sure the early Vanagon plug is compatible because the same distributor was used from 1979-1982 or so

skills@eurocarsplus Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:07 pm

gary...p/m me so I will remember to look. I have a bunch of old rabbit distributors kicking around....I am sure I have a piece of that harness. if not, I can clip it off my rabbit truck for you. I doubt I will ever feel the need to go back to a 1.7l seeing I have been enjoying 2.0 16V power for years now

(see, I swap everything I own :D )

aeromech Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:21 pm

Update: I was finally able to source this connector from Kyle at http://www.kyleautomotivespecialties.com/

Great guy who really came through for me. It arrived within 3 days and had been repaired to work like new.