TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: What turn signals go on these fenders?
SixtyThreeRag Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:34 am

This is a 59 project I picked up over the holiday weekend. I'm a little confused on what signals go on these fenders.

These are the type of signals that came with the car:

But here is my fender:

And underside:

73sports Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:38 am

As you've probably guessed, that's not a factory opening, so it's anyone's guess what was mounted with those 2 holes. You'll need to drill the proper openings in the fenders to mount the stock signal.

SixtyThreeRag Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:42 am

Dangit. These are the type of fenders that have the metal tubes going to the headlight buckets. It's a shame they were drilled into, and I'll need to drill into them again.

EVfun Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:07 am

Original fenders without any signal holes -- you may want to look for evidence of semaphores. I would guess that a truck cab marker light, shaped similarly to a VW front signal, was used. If the vehicle is going to be non-stock you could go with signals in the horn grills and skip the cutting.

SixtyThreeRag Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:13 am

Well, I need to cover the holes up with something. Don't want to have to fill the holes and repaint if I don't have to. May just mount the stock 59 signals there. Hopefully they're in the right place. This car is kind of a frankenstein car. Has a 56 oval window in it.

RareAir Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:54 pm

Factory mounting holes for 1958-63 turn signals look like this-

Too bad the car is recently painted especially if you do have European specification fenders. To go with the rear window, I would have suggested "bullet' signals

EVfun Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:00 pm

The turn signals won't be able to hit the stock location but can be close. If you start with the rear bolt hole just outward and forward of the existing rear hole you should be able to get close to the stock location and have the signals cover those holes.

I would be tempted to see if a local shop could weld the holes and do a good paint match, and then run signals in the horn grills or even in with the headlight (some daytime visibility issues there.) The car is going to be a custom anyway, since the oval window has already been welded in.

hitest Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:12 pm

Those holes look frighteningly like they are from mirrors, not lights- I'm thinking swans.

SixtyThreeRag Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:36 pm

Yeah, and the side trim holes are welded up as well. The car came with those corny horn grill signals in the box of parts, but I hate those.

I could prob weld the holes up myself and have the fenders repainted, but I'll probably go a head and mount some peanut signals as close to the stock location as possible while still covering up these holes.

Helfen Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:50 pm

EVfun wrote: Original fenders without any signal holes -- you may want to look for evidence of semaphores. I would guess that a truck cab marker light, shaped similarly to a VW front signal, was used. If the vehicle is going to be non-stock you could go with signals in the horn grills and skip the cutting.

Well not exactly, We used to get new German replacement fenders at the VW dealership I worked for that didn't have the holes, because that design of fender was used for cars without turn signals mounted on them and three types of turn signal lenses that were.

Robert H Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:30 pm

Good body shops these days can do an amazing job of matching colors. I recently had a "previous owner atrocity" repaired that entailed welding up some holes about that size and repainting a small area. The body shop guy had me take the car to the paint supply store, and they color matched it with a computerized gizmo. The body guy said it was close--he still had to mod the color a bit, but when it was done, it was an invisible repair, on a bright red car.

SixtyThreeRag Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:23 pm

Yeah, maybe I should weld the holes up and weld on bullets so it looks right and have it painted. The paint is a Chrysler color, so should be easy to match, plus it's only seen the sun for a few hours, so paint hasn't faded.

buguy Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:37 pm

Thats what i would do. It will only cost a couple hundred bucks to have done. Maybe the PO even has some leftover paint, or at least the paint code for it.

SixtyThreeRag Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:05 pm

And the mystery continues....

Found this in one of the box of parts. Can anyone identify it? It appears to be what went there. Not sure what housing/lens went on it.

67rustavenger Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:47 pm

SixtyThreeRag wrote: And the mystery continues....

Found this in one of the box of parts. Can anyone identify it? It appears to be what went there. Not sure what housing/lens went on it.

Even if that is what was mounted on the fender. There is no hole through the fender to wire it up. I'm with the thought that you should put the correct turn signal on the fender.
Just cut the hole for the turn signal conduit get the correct turn signal housing and wire it up.
Good luck

SixtyThreeRag Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:56 pm

That's the plan, I'm just puzzled at what the heck was there. It looks like they made the holes with a damn ice pick, lol. The things some people do to these cars makes baby Jesus cry.