TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Would this voltage step down work for my radio?
lojoma Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:44 pm

My '63 Beetle had a 12 v conversion. I need to drop the voltage to run the 6v Sapphire radio.

http://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Efficiency-Conver...+converter

Would this work for this? I have seen posts about building this kind of thing but not sure I could do it for less than what this one sells for.

Thanks

runamoc Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:51 am

Quote: Would this work for this?
Yes, it should. It's rated for 3 amps output. That should be more than what the radio needs. Also it 'uses' some current while not in use. Might have to connect it to wire #15 (power with switch on) so it doesn't 'drain' the battery.

lojoma Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:33 am

Good point about draining power!

Hmmm. That does make me wonder, though.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/sapphire_i_kg_8_62/SapphireI_Bendix_4.jpg

In the installation notes in the link, point 6d says connecting the power to the "always on" fuse block "connects the radio to the battery ahead of the ignition switch. DO NOT operate the radio through the ignition switch...distributor and automatic choke components will be damaged."

Anyone know why? I obviously don't want to damage other (much more important!) components, so I am wondering if I should keep looking for other options.

runamoc Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:53 am

Quote: In the installation notes in the link,
You're reading more into this than is needed. Are they talking about a car that has been converted to 12 volts? Are you going to be putting in the front wheel static collectors? IMO you have nothing to worry about putting the voltage inverter and radio on the ignition 'side' of the switch, #15, and having it affect the points, coil, or condenser. Like they say on the forums..it's your car do what you want. 8)

lojoma Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:38 pm

So I ordered the voltage dropper, but now I am a little unsure about installation. In the pic, you will see that there are + wires and - wires...I'm not sure about the - wires.

Since the radio is chassis grounded, not sure how I hook up the negatives.

I tried it just leaving them not connected to anything, but the radio didn't power up.

Note: Not sure if the radio even works...this is my attempt to see if it does!

I was thinking of connecting the "out" side to where the radio grounds, and then connecting the "in" side to a different ground point...but that doesn't seem right to me.

Thoughts? Thanks, all.

bluebus86 Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:05 pm

lojoma wrote:

So I ordered the voltage dropper, but now I am a little unsure about installation. In the pic, you will see that there are + wires and - wires...I'm not sure about the - wires.

I tried it just leaving them not connected to anything, but the radio didn't power up.

Note: Not sure if the radio even works...this is my attempt to see if it does!

I was thinking of connecting the "out" side to where the radio grounds, and then connecting the "in" side to a different ground point...but that doesn't seem right to me.

Thoughts? Thanks, all.

get a voltmeter and check the output both with and without connecting it to the radio (radio on) see if it really is delivering 6 volts output, that is the first thing to do. likewise you could see if it will light up a 6 volt light bulb.

did this device come with an instruction sheet? if so please post photo of the instructions. maybe we can help figure out if it is hooked up right.

EVfun Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:20 am

lojoma wrote:

Both need to go to a chassis ground. Hopefully it is a positive side switch in that unit. That is typical so it should work. I have used other DROK electronics with success, but documentation is always a little limited. They actually do answer email, but may be hard to understand.

pwmcguire Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:13 pm

EVfun wrote: lojoma wrote:

Both need to go to a chassis ground. Hopefully it is a positive side switch in that unit. That is typical so it should work. I have used other DROK electronics with success, but documentation is always a little limited. They actually do answer email, but may be hard to understand.

Yes, it seems weird to ground both negatives, but that is what you need to do. Now you asking why didn't they just put them together? :D there is a reason, I don't know what it is.

pwmcguire Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:17 pm

I made this for my radio and I sell them. Run the 12 volt out to the converter then to your radio

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1524914