TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Removing Caulking From Exterior Door Seal Groove.
75Flamebug Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:21 am

Okay, I just need some friendly advice. So I bought this door from an air-cooled VW shop because my drivers side door is a 1967 and above door and the drivers side doesn't match my passenger side door. (I've gotta 1975 VW bug). So this is my FIRST time doing ANY body work to any vehicle. This is my first car and I want this project to turn out. I've got a friend that is coaching me on how to remove the brushed on paint and use buildup primer.

My problem is the seal grove that is caked with caulking that is soft on top, but then rock solid down below.

I need to get this gap all cleaned out so that way I can prime/paint in that grove as well. I've tried these things:

- 80 grit sand paper folded and put onto random things to get into the corners of the groove.
- Steel wool
- Paint thinner, sand paper and steel wool.
- Dremel with a cupped brush and a wire brush in the groove. But it didn't fit.

Has anyone dealt with this before and can help me clean out this track? Anything will help. If you've done this before and know what works, PLEASE let me know! :)

Air-Cooled Head Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:11 am

a couple of threads that may help:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=615603&highlight=adhesive
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627869&highlight=adhesive

But if you're encountering truly dry, hard stuff, you may have to chip it out.

75Flamebug Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:08 am

No, its soft and squishy. I ended up using 80 grit sandpaper. Its where the seal goes so no one will see it. I'm going to use a metal prep like Ospho to prevent rust. Thanks tho!

67rustavenger Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:35 pm

Ospho really won't work. Unless there is rust in the seal groove already. Ospho converts rust, not prevent it. Clean the groove to bare metal if you must and then epoxy primer over the metal.
Good Luck.

75Flamebug Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:37 pm

I already got all of the caulking out. It is not down to bare metal and now I'm going to put ospho on the areas that need it, hence soak the entire bottom of the door in it, and then prime and paint it.

67rustavenger Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:49 pm

If the bottom of the door is lightly rusted. You will benefit from using ospho.
One thing to keep in mind is that the ospho needs to dry completely. If your doing this out of doors and it's raining like it is here today. You'll have tent the car to keep the rain off it. Once the ospho has done it's work. You will be left with a black surface if all went well. You must wipe it down with a wet cloth or rinse it with water after 24 hours. I have experimented with ospho here and found that in some cases you may need to reapply it to get the full benefit of the chemical reaction.
Good Luck.

theKbStockpiler Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:00 pm

Would a Heat Gun have been helpful? :?

buguy Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:14 pm

Probably not much. A propane torch and a scraper/wire brush seems to work best. Just depends what was actually on it. Most likely it was a seam sealer.

75Flamebug Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:36 am

I ended up using a flat head screwdriver and an 80 grit sandpaper. :D

c21darrel Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:29 pm

I have a cheap little pick set i use to get into crevices like that. Then break out the 80 grit to finish it off.
http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-pick-and-hook-set-66836.html

theKbStockpiler Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:49 am

I have used a Heat Gun and a stiff wire brush to remove seam sealer with good results.