TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Sprayable POR?
steveoutlaw Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:30 am

I know that I saw an add on here for a rust converter / preventative that was able to be sprayed with an HVLP gun. Does anyone know which one(s) can be sprayed?

TIA.

Air-Cooled Head Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:52 am

You mean other than rattle-can?

steveoutlaw Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:57 am

Yes, with a pneumatic sprayer. Worst case I'll use rattle can.......I just don't want to brush it on if I don't have to.

Air-Cooled Head Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:58 am

Honestly, I don't think I've ever seen a paint gun compatible rust converter. Usually, it's rattle-can or brush on. But what do I know? :?

I like the rust converter I got at Ace Hardware. It's rattle-can, but cheap and effective.

60ragtop Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:26 am

There's this

http://www.eastwood.com/rustproofing-and-undercoat...DE=1SE1532

buguy Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:15 pm

Maybe he is thinking of Master Series??

steveoutlaw Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:08 am

The eastwood looks promising. I'm just looking at a way to easily rust proof all my stuff, to include heater boxes and heating channels.

Can you dilute this stuff with acetone or something to dip parts like heater boxes?

ccpalmer Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:22 am

Why not spray POR-15?

Air-Cooled Head Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:57 am

ccpalmer wrote: Why not spray POR-15?

steveoutlaw wrote: Can you dilute this stuff with acetone or something to dip parts like heater boxes?

Most rust converters (at least that I've seen) are kinda on the thick side. I'd guess you could dilute the products, but I wonder how it would effect the outcome? Considering the $$$ for POR or MS, I'd call it risky.

c21darrel Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:21 pm

You can spray Masterseries. I never have, but i called Chuck and he told me I could. Its pretty good at self leveling and I have always just brushed it.

swhitcomb Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:44 pm

I have sprayed Masterseries with great results.

Bobnotch Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:20 pm

ccpalmer wrote: Why not spray POR-15?

I've sprayed POR before, but you have use their reducer to do it. I don't really recommend it, as that stuff is even nastier when reduced and sprayed.
I haven't tried shooting Master Series yet, but I suppose if you used the recommended reducer it would work just fine.

raygreenwood Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:46 pm

Why not spray with a "real" liquid rust converter first like phosphoric acid....which produces the best primer in the world as it converts...then spray your coating. Ray

buguy Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:04 pm

I would do like ray says, then spray it with an epoxy primer. But if you end up using POR or something like that, I would brush it on if possible. You lose a lot of material when you spray it. Brushing it will go much further and wont go everywhere.

steveoutlaw Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:13 am

This is the stuff I was talking about:

http://www.rustbullet.com/automotive