TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Ignition switch
rwf8ball Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:59 pm

I have a 1969 squareback AT/FI. My ignition switch will turn, and dash lights come on and so do the reverse lights for some reason, but it will not crank the motor. I can jump the starter with a remote starter switch and it will turn over. I am getting spark to the coil and the plugs and the starter. Is the ignition switch fused? Thanks

Bobnotch Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:57 pm

rwf8ball wrote: I have a 1969 squareback AT/FI. My ignition switch will turn, and dash lights come on and so do the reverse lights for some reason, but it will not crank the motor. I can jump the starter with a remote starter switch and it will turn over. I am getting spark to the coil and the plugs and the starter. Is the ignition switch fused? Thanks

Not fused, but there is a neutral saftey switch. Try putting the shifter in N (neutral), and see if it starts. If it doesn't, the the contacts in the switch aren't making.
The switch is located in the shifter housing.

sjbartnik Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:39 am

Bobnotch wrote:

Not fused, but there is a neutral saftey switch. Try putting the shifter in N (neutral), and see if it starts. If it doesn't, the the contacts in the switch aren't making.

That may tie in with the symptom of reverse lights coming on too. On the AT, isn't the reverse light switch inside the shift lever housing?

Perhaps something has come unmoored either there or in the shift linkage so that the indicator is showing N when in fact the trans is in reverse (or the trans really is in N but the reverse light switch is engaged in the shift lever housing), which is why the neutral safety switch isn't allowing you to operate the starter?

rwf8ball Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:40 am

Thanks Bob, I'll check that out.

Bobnotch Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:55 am

sjbartnik wrote: Bobnotch wrote:

That may tie in with the symptom of reverse lights coming on too. On the AT, isn't the reverse light switch inside the shift lever housing?

Perhaps something has come unmoored either there or in the shift linkage so that the indicator is showing N when in fact the trans is in reverse (or the trans really is in N but the reverse light switch is engaged in the shift lever housing), which is why the neutral safety switch isn't allowing you to operate the starter?

Yes, that's very possible since both switches are in the shifter assembly, and are side by side, or above 1 another (depending on which shifter unit you have).

Note: It wasn't until 1972 that you could start an AT type 3 with the shifter in park.

rwf8ball Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:20 am

Thanks to both of you, I will look into it, and I will let you know how it turns out. Thanks again.

KTPhil Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:49 am

Check out this thread:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=507491

Donnie strickland Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:23 pm

Here's what your 69 shifter contacts should look like. One pair is for the starter, the other is for the backup lights:

rwf8ball Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:54 pm

Donnie thanks for the pics. You guys are awesome.

rwf8ball Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:45 pm

I found out that the po remove the shifter switch below the shifter cover, and wired it in direct.

rwf8ball Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:50 pm

So I robbed these off of one of my other car's. Does anyone repop. theses?

reay Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:28 pm

Is that a good spare to carry?

Donnie strickland Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:14 pm

That's something you'll have to buy used.

I see why your reverse lights are on all the time -- the PO straight wired them to the switched power.

rwf8ball Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:44 pm

Tom for short trip's I wouldn't worry about it, for long trip's it wouldn't hurt.

rwf8ball Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:45 pm

Donnie, yes I will hook it up right this weekend.