TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Bostig RG6 install Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
mpl Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:47 am

Hi folks,

I'm hoping to continue the discussion for those installing RG6 of Bostig's engine conversion kit. Humbly and respectfully asking for good vibes here, please. :D

Thanks,
Mike

Moderator note: Original, general RG6 discussion topic has been reopened (link below); therefore, this topic has been retitled to be specifically about the OP's Zetec engine swap.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=642557

thasty07 Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:56 am

Agreed! Leave the childish bickering at home, pretty ridiculous the thread was locked because two guys can't act like adults.

Bassyaks Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:10 pm

If you guys are interested in learning about Cam timing a good place other than the Bostig manual is the Focus Fanatics web site, there is a ton of info on N/A engines, various torque values which aren't in the manual are listed there.
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/zetec-performance-2000-2004/

mpl Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:24 am

Hi folks,

Doing some engine shopping. How's this look to you all? It's got 29K miles and is a short drive from me, so pick-uppable. See anything that's an obvious problem?

Thanks,
Mike

raoul mitgong Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:48 am

All that rust and corrosion says "flood car" to me. I could be way off though.
-d

thasty07 Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:20 pm

If it checks out, it could be okay, but if its close for you to go take a look, than by all means take a look.

I would always be wary of a rusty engine but you never know, a low mileage motor. That motor could have come from the NE where they salt the roads which would cause the rust, not necessarily a flood car.

Most of that stuff can be pulled off and a newer not rusty stuff can be bolted on.

Bassyaks Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:21 pm

I don't know about FLOOD as he's from MASS. don't forget these engines (2002) have been sitting around for maybe 13 years anything sitting around that long will start to corrode .
If he follows Bostigs manual he should be fine, he has been told where to look and baring some stupid thing he should grab it.

dobryan Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:52 pm

Pull the spark plugs and then put a wrench on the crank pulley and see if it turns over smoothly.

bsell17 Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:35 pm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Zetec-2-0l-16V-Engine...mp;vxp=mtr

Is this engine compatible with the bostig conversion? It says it was bought in 1996 but a drop in engine for a focus from 1997-2004.

buildyourown Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:01 pm

bsell17 wrote: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Zetec-2-0l-16V-Engine...mp;vxp=mtr

Is this engine compatible with the bostig conversion? It says it was bought in 1996 but a drop in engine for a focus from 1997-2004.

Nope. That is a "silver top". You want a black top with the plastic valve covers.

bsell17 Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:05 pm

good to know, thanks

mpl Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:32 am

Over the past few days, I've made progress on disassembling the old 1.9l waterboxer (WBX) in my 1984 2WD Westy in anticipation of the RG6 build kit.

I've been working from a combination of Bostig's disassembly video and JudoJeff's WBX removal notes.

So far, I've made it up to about time 6:45 of the 13:27 total time in Bostig's disassembly video. I've disconnected all of the coolant and fuel lines to/from the WBX and am up to the point where I've removed the heat shields from underneath the WBX.

My two key lessons learned so far:F*!#ing CV bolts! It sounded like such an innocuous step in Bostig's disassembly video to disconnect the CVs. This was a two-day-long ordeal because my CV bolts were so rusted and jammed on, and my CV bolts were 6mm Allen bolts, so I couldn't get much purchase on the bolt even with a long Allen key. I had to hit these bolts with TONS of PB Blaster, tap on them, lean on the bolts, hit them with more PB Blaster, give them time, then rest and repeat. While I was waiting, I took the time to disconnect all the coolant and fuel lines.So many coolant lines! Even after reading up about the WBX's hose maze, I was still amazed at how much time it took me to disconnect all of the coolant lines from the transaxle back to the engine, not to mention draining all of the coolant. This really was an endeavor unto itself before I even got to the meat of Bostig's disassembly video.Here's the "before" photo of my stock 1.9l WBX engine:

And here's how things currently look:

More to come!

Bassyaks Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:35 pm

If you have an air chisel that will work perfectly, just start them twisting in the correct direction and than buzz them right off, DON'T CHISEL the heads off.
If you don't have one Home Depot was selling them for $10 during the holidays, check them out they may still have some.

vanagonjr Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:51 pm

mpl wrote: and my CV bolts were 6mm Allen bolts, so I couldn't get much purchase on the bolt even with a long Allen key.

Don't use a key, use a hex bit in a holder and then your ratchet wrench or breaker bar can be used. Alternatively, you can always cut a piece of the hex key with a right angle grinder and then use a socket of the same hex size on that piece of hex key.

mpl Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:58 am

Thanks, folks. I should have clarified, vanagonjr... I'm not using small Allen keys; rather, I have long, right-angle Allen drivers long enough to get a full hand on. In any event, got the CV bolts off with lots of persistence and PB Blaster!

mpl Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:15 am

Woohoo! Successfully removed my stock 1984 1.9l waterboxer and 4-speed manual transaxle from my Westy. Here's the engine and transmission after removal:

And here's my empty engine bay, now awaiting the Zetec and the RG6 kit:

I'm excited to move on to the Zetec installation!

dobryan Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:41 am

Looks like a great time to fully remove the axles and clean, check, and regrease the CV joints. :D

MsTaboo Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:10 pm

dobryan wrote: Looks like a great time to fully remove the axles and clean, check, and regrease the CV joints. :D
Absolutely, much easier to remove the inner CV bolts with the engine/transmission out of the way.
Repacking the CV joints is a messy job but pretty easy. Be sure to mark the axles for orientation and reinstall the same way they came out.

Franagon Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:24 pm

Hello all, I am on RG6 and I am having a heck of a time finding the little gasket that goes between the 'breather thing' and the crankcase on the Zetec. It is on the exhaust side of the engine. The gasket is shaped kind of like a triangle with holes in each corner and an approximate 1 1/4" hole in the middle. Please shoot me a part number on it or link. If you can't visualize it, I will see if I can get a pic of it tonight. I think I have everything else accounted for. Just now submitted my RockAuto order including a timing belt kit with all the seals, pulleys and water pump. Thanks! Should be a fun one!

Franagon Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:25 pm

1.25" hole (the post may be a little confusing how it shows) :oops: