TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Ebay items from Germany
Red Fau Veh Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:06 am

About a year ago things changed on ebay where if I search vw items it will include items listed by folks in other countries by default. Well I am so tired of seeing the items listed by sellers in Germany! I see the same stuff posted day after day and it is cool stuff but it never sells. The items are listed for such outrages prices that none of it ever goes away. A Hazet wrench for 250 bucks or some ish or a some cool item like a dash board coffee maker for 300 bucks etc. WTH? Can't these sellers see that their prices are out of whack? It frustrates me to have to weed through all the same crud day after day, why can't these sellers lower the prices after something doesn't sell? I did see a German seller list a bunch of stuff starting at zero and it all sold in the first week it was listed. And it fetched great money, but market value dictated the ending price. I guess I just think these sellers are gouging the prospective buyers or tossing a price out there just to see if anyone will blindly pop for something without researching the true value. I don't like it, Ebay is an auction site not a museum. :roll:

EverettB Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:13 am

Yes, these people who have eBay stores where everything is massively overpriced and never sells can be annoying.
eBay makes it easy and cheap for these people to list things this way and in bulk.

If you have saved searches (I bookmark them in my browser) you can exclude those sellers from each search.
It's kind of a pain to do but worth it for some sellers.

Quote: I just think these sellers are gouging the prospective buyers or tossing a price out there just to see if anyone will blindly pop for something without researching the true value
Yes, they are doing that. Or targeting the people who just need that one thing to finish their car and will pay for it.
There are a couple people on this site doing the same thing.

You can change your search to be USA only too, if you want.

vwracerdave Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:33 am

You also have to realize that some of it is lost in translation of languages and the exchange rate in currency between the different countries.

eBay has been way too comercialized for the last 5-6 years now.

Red Fau Veh Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:28 pm

I notice it here too and on Clist. For example a Craigslist seller near me has some very nice old vw's for sale but the prices are all wrong so none of them ever sell. Recently he raised the prices again on a few of them and I just keep shaking my head when I see it. I liken it to fishing and these folks are pros. On this site there are pro sellers that list each of their items and within each items listing, is a generic lead to get you to see each other item they have for sale. :? And here I wait 2 weeks to renew my add but these folks seem to always bump theirs with "pending" or something lol! If something I sell is pending, I just wait until the money is done and then pull the add. These guys make it look like the buyer is out there mowing lawns night and day to come up with the cash. So in the mean time "I'm" gonna put this fine item back up to the top so in case the buyer flakes I can lasso some more potential suckas! :lol:

vwracerdave Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:45 pm

Some people are honest sellers and some people are scam artist. Nothing you do in life will ever change that.

I give The Samba ads 80% honesty rating, eBay 50%, and CraigsList less then 10%

mark tucker Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:07 pm

ebays changing policys have made a lot of venders go away and thew prices going up all the time. I wish I had got a lot more before I didnt get somuch and now cant afford much at all.....I sure wish china would start ,making nascar parts :shock:

Ran When Parked Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:15 pm

I am in agreement with your first post and glad you mentioned it here. I weed out those ads by limiting the search to USA or something like that.

The horn buttons kill me. The original vendor made them for more cars than just buses. The big thing I dislike now are the new parts coming under the used parts searches. Same stuff over and over and from businesses not individuals.

Regarding Samba sellers, I have avoided a few high dollar sellers that seem to have a lot of stuff and even used to giggle about them. That was until I needed a rarer item. At that point I would ask for a discount or throw out an offer and that has never worked. I ended up buying a part that cost 2x the price I paid for the bus. Not being an expert, I had to question (myself) how a part could sell for more than the car and ultimately came to the conclusion I got a good deal on the car, but the missing extra would be a different story.

Like most folks, I prefer to find the part in the wild. IMO, the prices are more realistic. A digital find is my last, and sometimes only, resort. Who knows if those prices are accurate.

I wish a split bus part seller would write a book about it. Especially if it is their full time job as there are a few out there.

train99 Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:30 pm

Everett - How do you block sellers? I block them by finding a bit of text in their descriptions that seems unique and excluding it from the search.

Is there a better way?

Thanks.

EverettB Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:33 pm

train99 wrote: Everett - How do you block sellers? I block them by finding a bit of text in their descriptions that seems unique and excluding it from the search.

Is there a better way?

Thanks.

On eBay? Do your search, then go to advanced search and you can exclude sellers by name.
Then re-bookmark it your browser or re-save it in your eBay "Saved Searches"

I also do the - on the text, probably the same you are doing
Example vw bus search while excluding some BS:
vw bus -(jetta,golf,gti,rabbit)

train99 Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:01 am

Thank you. I never saw that. It must be a new feature.

Here's a tip for you:

If you set the search for items listed most recently, and then add "&_rss=1" without the quotes to the end of the url you can open the search with an RSS reader.

I used to look at 6 different searches, but now just have one that shows me the most recently listed 200 items for all the terms in the old six searches.

I have that set up on my home page and when I am on a boring phone call or have a few minutes I click on the link and see the stuff recently listed.

I'll start blocking sellers which should allow me to get rid of some of the excluded words that might be causing me to miss items I want.

You can do it with craigslist too with this at the end of the search url: "&format=rss"

Craigslist won't show results in PHP rss parsers, but it shows the results in your default rss reader which for me is yahoo.

Bruce Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:28 am

Red Fau Veh wrote: On this site there are pro sellers that list each of their items and within each items listing, is a generic lead to get you to see each other item they have for sale. :? And here I wait 2 weeks to renew my add but these folks seem to always bump theirs with "pending" or something ..
If a seller here changes their ad to say "pending", it doesn't get bumped to the top unless it's been over 2 weeks since the last time they renewed it.

If you find sellers that have more than one ad for the same item, report it to Everett; he'll delete the extras. I've found sellers with 3-4 ads for the same item. I report them all to the mighty AD-SLAYER.

EverettB Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:15 am

Bruce wrote: Red Fau Veh wrote: On this site there are pro sellers that list each of their items and within each items listing, is a generic lead to get you to see each other item they have for sale. :? And here I wait 2 weeks to renew my add but these folks seem to always bump theirs with "pending" or something ..
If a seller here changes their ad to say "pending", it doesn't get bumped to the top unless it's been over 2 weeks since the last time they renewed it.

If you find sellers that have more than one ad for the same item, report it to Everett; he'll delete the extras. I've found sellers with 3-4 ads for the same item. I report them all to the mighty AD-SLAYER.

Correct

mark tucker Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:48 am

some people just price their shit crazy. why??I dono...stupid I gess like the nos scat valve covers for $300 but they sell new for $35. or less.or the half ported intakes for $120 more than new ones that haven't been effed up by some home porter whoo lost intrist. or the guy that has fiber glass tops for 356's for over 2 x what they should be. why??? because somebody will pay it and think(in thier head) that they got a deal or really have something rare). or you get the person that sells something that is totaly junk and unusable,...but ....it's just fine. or the moron that sells trans parts that are junk and says money back if you send them back but he refuzes the shipment. and mf's you,your kids,your family,your wife,all this while he cant even read or right or spell or form a sentence.....(yes this is coming form me the non speller with dead grammer in cali). so it takes all kinds and Everett cant spot and sort them all out.but he does a awesome job none the less on this entire site. So ....it's up to the buyer to user thier eyes and ask as many questions as possiable. befor buying. if someone is selling rubber dog poop and dosent specify it's rubber but you can see it is in the add.....be ready for a real, stinken peace of dog shi.....poop when it arrives.and hope it's not on fire.