TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Painting my SC rims
sandtrooper747 Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:59 pm

Hey guys,
I'm fairly new to this, I'm going to sandblast my 57 Single cab's rims and want to paint them white like this:

what would be a good primer/paint to use? Enamel? self etching? I've heard of Eastwood paints.

Air-Cooled Head Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:59 am

sandtrooper747 wrote: Hey guys,
I'm fairly new to this,
what would be a good primer/paint to use? Enamel? self etching? I've heard of Eastwood paints.

Make it easy on yourself. Have them blasted and powder coated. Last longer/better than paint.

buguy Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:45 pm

Problem I see is that every VW wheel I ever had was pitted pretty bad, even if they arent rusty. You could get a direct to metal high build poly primer and it should do all the jobs for you. Blast them, and then 2-3 good coats of the high build, sand smooth and paint. That should spray heavy enough to fill any pitting, and you can paint right on it. I like Evercoat Superbuild for something like that.

If you dont want to do all that sanding, you can have them powdercoated, or just spray with either etch primer or epoxy primer. Let it flash the correct amount of time and paint it with no sanding. Just make sure your within the recoat window or you will be sanding it anyway.