TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Any 1 have this installed- Cruise Control
gt1953 Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:29 pm

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1874644

Cruise control...would it work on dual carbs or even single carb.
Interesting.

KTPhil Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:14 pm

I can't speak to that particular kit, but the retrofit kits of old that used a large vacuum-driven bellows to actuate the cable to pull the throttle open would probably be a problem with the FI or automatic (since both are very sensitive to vacuum including short vacuum hiccups), though probably not the ignition advance so much.

A motor-driven unit would be better suited to the VW. I can't tell from the photos but this looks small enough to maybe be a motor, not vacuum unit.

Cusser Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:08 pm

That's what my Audiovox aftermarket cruise control cost back in 2003, but that's on my '88 Mazda truck, and that one does use engine vacuum.

About 2 years ago I installed a Rostra 250-1233 universal aftermarket cruise control onto my 2004 Frontier, which also has an accelerator cable, that one works by an electrically activated motor, looks like Rostra bought out the old Audiovox electronics. This is what I have, and the company I purchased mine from http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/251275211200?ul_noapp=true&chn=ps&lpid=82

Both work well.

Gordon: I'd have to recommend the Rostra unit, it is more costly though. At least it's supported/modern. Either way, it would need to attach to the accelerator cable or whatever that cable attaches to. I'd check to confirm that the Rostra can work off the coil signal (on my Frontier I tap into the vehicle speed sensor).

hitest Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:32 pm

That sure as hell looks like something bought for $4 at a thrift store. Because that's where you see them- donated from dealership accessory departments and stereo joints cleaning out the lower cupboards (there's one on goodwill.com right now). I know this because it was my job to clean out the lower cupboards at two stereo joints in the early 90s and that is its era. No support for that product anywhere on earth. Please, oh please do not waste your time with this relic. Buy a new unit with a warranty and have a few hours of refundable joy installing it.

Das Dragon Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:56 am

I've had an Audiovox cruise control on my '61 Westy since '04. Dual Kadrons on a 2017. Works great!

itskyle Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:02 pm

Back when I was a dumb teenager and didn't know any better...

My cruise control also doubled as a parking brake...

That's right, it's a brick!

petersbruder Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:28 am

I've installed a cruise control kit.
The system gets sold in Germany by waeco.com

Here the complete documentation of installing of the system
http://www.maigler.de/T3/EinbauWaeco_MS-50_VW_T3_WBX.pdf

Unfortunately I wrote it just in German.
If there is a need to translate it, I'll do it

raygreenwood Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:59 pm

Most 80s on up factory cruise control systems do not use engine vacuum for anything other than load reference. My 90 model cabrio.....and many if not most others are like this......used a little vacuum pump bolted to the firewall. Ray

Tram Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:35 pm

I used to install the same basic units as these back in the 1970s. They were known as a "Speed O Stat".

Because of the VW not having any sort of propeller shaft or driveshaft, we had two different adapter kits at extra cost for VWs- one for swing axle and one for IRS. The brake and clutch pedal switches needed an adapter also... real Rube Goldberg type stuff.

These things weren't all that reliable on VWs and required frequent "centering" recalibrations with the adapters.

You're far better off engineering an electronic speed sensor in your speedo cable and getting an electronic unit IMO.

Tram Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:41 pm

petersbruder wrote: I've installed a cruise control kit.
The system gets sold in Germany by waeco.com

Here the complete documentation of installing of the system
http://www.maigler.de/T3/EinbauWaeco_MS-50_VW_T3_WBX.pdf

Unfortunately I wrote it just in German.
If there is a need to translate it, I'll do it

Sehr angenehm. Wilkommen in "TheSamba". :)

What you are linking to there looks a lot like a Mercedes Tempomat system. You show it in a "T3" Vanagon, but what we are discussing here is the Typ3 '1500/1600'. On our cars there's really not a way to adapt in an electronic speed sensor like you show. However, if you can supply a two piece speedometer cable with a separate speed sender in a box it would likely work.

Edit: Whups, I could have sworn I was in the Type 3 forum. What the...???

Anyways, what I'm discussing here applies to most any air cooled VW, but later cars have the O2 sensor "warning box" which is a perfect place to stuff a speed sensor.

Cusser Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:00 am

On IRS models, a universal model magnetic speed sensor "might" be able to be used, as the IRS drive shaft at the inner ends really shouldn't move that much, especially while cruising.

Coil signal would be easier though, the cruise control cable would just need to be attached to the throttle. The cruise cable itself is inside a sheath, don't really see any real issues, that curved cable should fit beneath the engine lid OK on 1967 and later VWs.

I'd contact Rostra if truly interested and ask about the universal cruise control kit (identical to that I installed in my 2004 Frontier) to see if they have experience with someone installing that in an air-cooled VW.

Dave Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:47 pm

Steve Hollingsworth, in Phoenix, has one he made up from <gulp> watercooled VW parts on his '68 Type 1, with a 2 liter and dual 42 DCNF carbs. It worked fantastic on the Berg Cruise, when I saw him in Colorado...try to find him..

vwwestyman Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:49 am

I had a cruise system from a watercooled car in my '78 Bus for a long time.

The pump and servo were mounted above the splash pan and the servo pulled on the accelerator cable there. Computer was attached near the fuse box. For the switch, I simply cut the end off the turn signal switch and mounted it to the dash with double-sided tape.

Clutch and Brake pedal switches were zip-tied to the pedal brackets under the bus. They were placed on the brackets so that the switches were held closed against the underside of the floor when the pedal was up. This part was a little finicky and the clutch switch needed little adjustments occasionally because it would scoot down the bracket a little. A VW car (bug, Type 3, Ghia, etc) would require a different solution for these switches.

For the speed signal, I used a speed signal sender from a Pontiac Fiero. When I installed the setup years ago, I bought this part from someone in Europe. Thinking it was a Bosch part, I could not find a replacement when I'd occasionally look. It was only within the last few months I happened to run across one (again in Europe) and when I inquired about getting another I found out the true origins of the part.

It screws into the back of the speedometer, and the cable screws into it. Has a power, ground, and signal wire that goes to the computer. I just snipped the plug off and crimped on my own wire connectors. One could surely place it in the spot of the EGR counter box if desired.

Most of the cruise "kit" is now not used in my '78 because of the TDI engine/computer, so I plan to eventually adapt this to the '73 because it is very nice.

The part number for the speed sensor is GM 90148828. I would bet it could be used for the speed signal in many of the aftermarket kits, too. I bet that internally you'd just find a hall-effect sensor.