TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Help on new build. Questions questions questions
CBFLbikerider Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:00 pm

:? I have picked up a 71 super beetle. This was to replace the stolen sand rail I HAD :evil: I already knew that it was not the best for a baja build, but I had also known I was in for the "baja look" more than anything else. Won't be offroad much. (NO jumping, trails mostly) Will be on road to work most of the time. so this will work for me. Main question was with concern to the back end...I have no idea where to start or what really to do first as I had a sand rail that was complete when I got it. Thanks for the info in advance.

CBFLbikerider Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:15 am

Well....no reply's....having gotten it to the house and inventoried the total package. I will be doing a resto and not a Baja. Thanks all for the help and advice!
A few pics of the 71

The condition and Super model along with advise here not to use a super were the deciding factors to restore. Thanks all for the help through the time on this forum!

GoMopar440 Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:50 pm

I'm guessing most people here were probably waiting to see some pics first to be able to see what you have to work with. I'm still learning all this VW stuff myself so I'm probably not a great source of Baja info. The rail in my sig is my first VW so only part of what I've learned will apply to a Baja/Bug.

One thing that does confuse me though is you say your Bug is a Super, but your windshield is flat from what I see in the pics. I could be wrong as like I said, I'm a VW newb, who told you it's a Super? Does it have a McPherson strut front end with coil springs on it? Regular Bugs will have a link pin or ball joint torsion beam front end on it. If your's is a regular '71 Bug it should have a ball joint front end on it.

It does look pretty solid from the pics you show though. I hope it's as solid everywhere else. The battery tray is usually the worst place on the pan AFAIK. That's usually due to the battery acid eating away at the metal over the years and being out of sight for long periods of time.

EDIT: Found a link that describes the differences between the Standard and Super Beetle models. Scroll half way down the page for the list of differences and pics. It looks like the '71 and '72 Supers still had flat windshields, so it could be a Super. The front suspension seems to be the easiest way to tell them apart then.
http://www.jbugs.com/category/VW-Super-Beetle-Parts.html