TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Summer of 2017 road trip
VW.parrothead Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:06 pm

Hello,

I am planning a cross-country road trip for the summer of 2017, when my oldest graduates from high school. I've been semi-planning since 2013, saving money, gathering info, etc. We are in Florida and would like to leave in mid-June, head out to California (north of LA), up to Seattle, over to Mt. Rushmore, down to St. Augustine, and home again - 8,000 miles in 45 days. I am also factoring in a cushion of an extra 1.5 weeks "just in case."

I am not new to camping or road trips, but this will definitely be something different. I will be buying AAA membership, spare tires, national park pass, etc. Most nights camping in van, some nights at hotels, so I'm researching campgrounds, reservations at Yellowstone, etc. I've also been reading the road trip stories in this forum.

Bus wise - my #1 priority is a bus that can actually make the trip with minimal issues, so I'm looking ones that have been gone-through, re-built engine, newer parts, etc. To quote a long-timer here, I plan to "spend more for the most complete, least rusty car I can find and afford." However, my "more" is not limitless. I will learn how to do repairs that may be needed, but I don't think I can rebuild an engine myself, or do a total restoration. I want to keep the bus in my garage (we have 80" garage door clearance) if possible, so I'm looking at tin top campers, and we will bring a tent.

Is this feasible? Any help, tips, advice, etc.?

Thanks!!

Q-Dog Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:10 pm

Make it your daily driver for a year. At the end of that year you should have it sorted out well enough to trust it for a long trip.

VW.parrothead Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:13 pm

Thanks, I plan to do that, which is another reason I want to narrow down the best bus type for us and this trip. We want to take it camping a few times and test it out so we get a feel for it's quirks.

So - you definitely think it's possible to do this trip? I am not asking too much to drive 8000 miles in 6.5 weeks in a 40 year old bus? For a middle-aged mom and two teens . . . my teens will be able to help with driving by then, which will be nice.

So many people think I am weird for wanting to do this, but the kids and I getting excited. Just hope I find a bus to buy soon!

rcroane Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:38 pm

What's your budget for the bus? They aren't cheap (the good ones).

Dan the workingstiff Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:58 am

I agree daily driver for a yr and multiple camping trips to trim down on extra weight. Might think about a bigger motor.

Q-Dog Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:27 am

The car doesn't care if you drive 8000 miles in 6 weeks or 6 years. Build it with good parts, treat it well and maintain it and the engine should give you 75000 to 100,000 miles before you need to do any serious work on it. Just remember, they almost never break down if you don't use them.

Older buses used different engines than newer buses, so telling you what mechanical issues to look out for is difficult until you settle on a vehicle. I suggest you hang out in the bus section of TheSamba, since lots of those folks only do buses and have a better idea of the pitfalls and challenges of vintage bus ownership.

VW.parrothead Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:46 pm

rcroane wrote: What's your budget for the bus? They aren't cheap (the good ones).

Around $10K- $12K for a tin top w/camper inside. I am sure I will have to do some fixing up but I'll have almost 1.5 years if I find something now. Not too concerned with color, dings and dents, do seats need reupholstered, is everything original and perfect, etc. Main concerns are:
1. engine, wiring, etc.
2. rust - where and how bad

Mike Fisher Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:21 pm

Save $1000 so you can have the very best buy shipped to you from the dry West to rusty FL. :idea:

VW.parrothead Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:19 pm

Mike Fisher wrote: Save $1000 so you can have the very best buy shipped to you from the dry West to rusty FL. :idea:

Ha, yes, I have noticed that! All the good stuff is out west! Same with the nice Sparta campers, Airstreams, etc.

gt1953 Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:52 pm

Not sure where in Florida you are. Here is won I mean one to go check out.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1839816

skills@eurocarsplus Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:23 pm

something evil hiding under that paint....I suspect an amateur paint job, poor prep or incompatible products used (or all of the above)

may fit the bill, but not at that price

TDCTDI Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:21 pm

Have you thought about a domestic conversion van? I know it's not as cute/quaint but it'll be a lot cheaper & will realistically do modern highway speeds without overtaxing the engine. Long family road trips can be hell, especially if all you see is the inside of a shop or engine bay as cars/trucks are whizzing by.

VW.parrothead Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:15 pm

TDCTDI wrote: Have you thought about a domestic conversion van? I know it's not as cute/quaint but it'll be a lot cheaper & will realistically do modern highway speeds without overtaxing the engine. Long family road trips can be hell, especially if all you see is the inside of a shop or engine bay as cars/trucks are whizzing by.

Yes, but most of them have the raised roof and I can't keep it in the garage.

I don't want to spend all my time broke down on the side of the road, either. I also don't want the hassle & expense of buying another vehicle and a pop-up camper. Our city does not allow RV's or campers in yards, so I would have to pay for storage. We've thought about getting a regular cargo van and customizing it.

I think I'll check out some VW repair manuals from the library and start reading up, in addition to my internet research.

TDCTDI Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:36 pm

There are people that make epic trips in them with few issues
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=635835
Then there are those that make epic trips with nothing but issues
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=535714
The latter has made a career out of mechanical failures but has tried to focus on the journey.

It one thing to be single & a wandering soul, but once you have a family that is used to a house & reliable transportation ...

I'm pretty sure if I subjected my family to a national lampoon style vacation, my carcass would never be found.