TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Fox Shocks
CWied Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:11 pm

I've been googling up and down but are there any Fox shocks that would fit the stock dimension suspension mounting? I.E. stock beam and trailing arms? I'm in the middle of ordering some parts and if some nice shocks are an option I'd like to opt out on that.

Thanks!

AZ-BUG Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:37 pm

Since you mentioned trailing arms I assume ball joint front end, and IRS rear. If so, the following are right up your alley.

http://www.racereadyproducts.com/fox-racing-shocks/fox-20-class-11-shocks/

dustymojave Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:58 pm

Since the Class 11 rules were changed a few years ago to allow any shock with a 18" mount to mount length, the side mount shocks have been used by most racers.

But to fit your mostly stock car, and using that link posted by AZ-Bug, I recommend:
Front: FOX980-02-120-A / Class 11 Shock / 2.0" X 6.5" Stroke / 5/8" Shaft / Cad. Silver/Black / Fox Shox Price: $324.95

Rear: FOX980-02-326 / Class 11 Shock / Rear / 2.0" X 6.125" Stroke / Cad. Silver/Black / Fox Shox Price: $344.95

CWied Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:06 pm

AZ-BUG wrote: Since you mentioned trailing arms I assume ball joint front end, and IRS rear. If so, the following are right up your alley.

http://www.racereadyproducts.com/fox-racing-shocks/fox-20-class-11-shocks/

Thanks for the help you two! I was just concerned as I believe class 11 cars have more suspension clearance than my bug. I'm on 100% stock suspension, nothing cut and turned up front and all I've done in the rear is turn the torsion cars a couple notches the level the car out. But I'm sure the shock stroke will work!

CWied Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:16 pm

I doubt a remote reservoir is needed in my case. Regardless, they're on the way! :D

dustymojave Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:23 pm

Class 11 rules do not allow any modification that would increase travel other than removing the stock snubbers. So if it fits a class 11 on the original mounts, it fits on yours. They list shocks in there which fit on shortened lower IRS mounts. DO NOT get those. Get the ones that fit stock mounts. They will be cheaper without reservoirs, but will be special order.

CWied Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:55 pm

dustymojave wrote: Class 11 rules do not allow any modification that would increase travel other than removing the stock snubbers. So if it fits a class 11 on the original mounts, it fits on yours. They list shocks in there which fit on shortened lower IRS mounts. DO NOT get those. Get the ones that fit stock mounts. They will be cheaper without reservoirs, but will be special order.

I saw that and steered clear. The two that you listed are the ones that I got. Thank you for the help! What is drive ability on off-road gonna be like with these things?

dirtkeeper Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:42 am

dustymojave wrote: Since the Class 11 rules were changed a few years ago to allow any shock with a 18" mount to mount length, the side mount shocks have been used by most racers.

But to fit your mostly stock car, and using that link posted by AZ-Bug, I recommend:
Front: FOX980-02-120-A / Class 11 Shock / 2.0" X 6.5" Stroke / 5/8" Shaft / Cad. Silver/Black / Fox Shox Price: $324.95

Rear: FOX980-02-326 / Class 11 Shock / Rear / 2.0" X 6.125" Stroke / Cad. Silver/Black / Fox Shox Price: $344.95

Wow is that the price each? I have a lot of respect for fox shocks because I know people there. I know all the big racers use them. But man the bilsteins I got, class 11 ball joint fronts and some reservoir 5160 's for the rear. They were a massive improvement from the kybs I had. Yet they were still about half of what those fox ones are. Are they that much better?

dustymojave Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:42 pm

Yup....
Price each!

Wait 'til you see what serious shocks cost! Like for a Crumco Class 5 race car, you're looking at about $4.5K.

I prefer Kings myself, and know some folks there. LOL

As the old hot rodder saying goes...
"Speed costs money. How Fast can you afford to go?"

earthquake Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:57 pm

You can get Bilstein's cheaper, I have Bilstein 7100's on my car and they work very good.

http://www.eshocks.com/bil_ORvh.asp?Series_Index=q...ar=q#thumb

Casey