TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Punchdrunk Customs set up questions
Become Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:51 am

Unfortunately I am one of the seemingly many people that Matt and Punchdrunk Customs took advantage of, and am now left to pick up the pieces on my own. The good news is that after over a year of pestering I was able to get my front beam, but it appears that the solution I was promised for the rear (along with the components I purchased and sent to Matt) isn't going to materialize. So after years of waiting I'm moving forward, albeit with an incomplete solution. I'm hoping that someone out there in the internet will be familiar with the front beam set up and able to help me with a couple questions as I try to finish up the front end.

1. I was missing a steering damper in the shipment. Can I just use a standard Type I damper, or is there something else I need to look for?

2. I'm also not sure what shocks to use for this set up, and the car had been hacked on prior to my involvement with it and didn't have any installed in the first place. Will stock shocks fit or do I need longer/shorter ones?

3. Will the single airbag set up clear the gas tank? It doesn't look like it will just eyeballing it, but I do have to admit I haven't gotten that far yet. If it won't clear, any tips for finding the extra room other than just a BFH?

4. For sure the spare tire well will not fit. What have people done to replace? I don't carry a spare tire in the well, but it does make a great spot to carry my airjack, hose, tools, etc. It looks like something could be fabbed up fairly easily, but if someone has blazed that trail already I'd love to hear about it.

5. Has anyone developed an airride solution for the rear in a IRS car yet? I haven't been watching for years now, but it's suddenly relevant to my interests again and figured someone might know.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide!

~Ed

Erik G Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:56 am

that sucks about Matt - might want to make sure your beam is actually straight, I know someone that waited forever, and then got a beam that wasn't straight. They tossed it and went with OldSpeed

Matt is still on FaceBook and is still somewhat active in the mini-truck scene as well, selling parts to people that don't know any better

I would search here for user squareonair - lots of pics and a good reputation

Bobnotch Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:18 pm

Erik G wrote:
I would search here for user squareonair - lots of pics and a good reputation

This is probably your best bet. You might want to do a little searching of the forum too, as I know the rear has been done by Airkewld, along with their bug beam conversion.

Become Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:14 pm

Thanks for your replies. Search is kind of a scary thing as it brings up memories from the Airkewled and DDB debate. I know the DDB set up was not a solution and I was on the Airkewled site earlier and still didn't see anything for the rear. Looks like that one never got resolved.

For now I'm concentrating on the front end and will hope someone will chime in on my questions about the steering damper and shocks just so I don't throw parts at it to see what sticks.

Bobnotch Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:44 pm

Become wrote: Thanks for your replies. Search is kind of a scary thing as it brings up memories from the Airkewled and DDB debate. I know the DDB set up was not a solution and I was on the Airkewled site earlier and still didn't see anything for the rear. Looks like that one never got resolved.

The rear is the same as an IRS bug.

I did a quick search for äir ride kits", and came up with 25 hits. But not all of them were for "air ride".

Hooked Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:23 pm

I have one installed in my car, you can send me private messages with questions.

The gas tank will clear, you will need to use a 90 degree hose connection into the top of the bag.

stock shocks will fit fine, lowered version will not work.

a standard type 1 damper should work, it did on mine but required an additional bracket to be fabricated.