TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 69 bug B Pillar removal!!!
BoldStatements Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:47 pm

Just want to try and get some info on if anybody has tried this before, has pics, or any suggestions on best way to do this. I just want something different so Im thinking of eliminating the B Pillar complete and making my 69 an true coupe rather than a post car. Have a planned devised in my head but its always better to get different opinions. Thanks in advance

buguy Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:29 am

Ive never done it or seen it done, but I would guess the biggest trouble is going to be making rubber for it. Not going to be able to have the rubber on the door anymore, so you will have to make something that will be on the car. Also the rubber that will have to be on the glass edges. But with some research I dont see why you couldnt do it. VW side and quarter glass is flat, so if you need to have some make in a bit different shape shouldnt be too much trouble.

fla2smoker Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:17 am

Here is a discussion from 2010
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6620604

theKbStockpiler Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:56 pm

It might be easier to attach a hardtop to a convertible. :shock:

Dodgy Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:51 am

Most famously (here in the UK at least) this was done back in the 90s on 'Billabug'

andk5591 Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:09 am

Based on my experience building the VW Woodie (based on a vert) My doors are highly customized and I dealt with seals etc. There's a lot to take into consideration when doing something like this, so spend a LOT more time with a pencil and paper than with a sawzall.

Like your upper window frames will need to be integrated into the body. Eliminating the vent windows? How will the windows will mate up and seal where the B-pillar was?. Vert stuff wont just bolt on. You will need custom glass for sure, (make a masonite template for mock up). Custom cut (lots of curves) tempered glass isnt cheap.

As far as seals go, you can use a stock seal for the lower portion of the doors and just cut them off at the window. The upper seal is easy - you just use standard window track like is on the doors now. You also should look at a place called Restoration Specialties in Windber PA. They make all kind of seals for classics as well as custom applications. I used them quite a bit.

To do this right is not going to be cheap or remotely easy. If you don't think it through, we will see another cheap project car on craigslist.