TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Did Automobilclub Von Deutschland have ties with Nazis
ArtistGollaher Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:41 pm

I recently purchased a Automobilclub Von Deutschland decal from the 60's. In the middle it has a profile of a mans face with it looks like a german helmet and goggles. After I bought someone told me that the club had ties to Nazis, but I have researched and not found anything to back that up. Does anyone know any history on the club or if it is true?

Cusser Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:59 pm

This, I bet.

Zylinderkopf Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:56 am

Why does it matter? There is no doubt about the history of the car, is there?

Cusser Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:57 am

Photo of Adolf likely thinking of his scheme to cheat Germans of their money with the pipe dream of car ownership.....of those who paid in, not one ever received a car....but just happened to be a factory which could make military vehicles etc. for WW2.

Typ3nut Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:12 pm

Automobile Club of / from Germany ...
https://www.avd.de/englisch/

sb001 Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:00 pm

ArtistGollaher wrote: After I bought someone told me that the club had ties to Nazis, but I have researched and not found anything to back that up. Does anyone know any history on the club or if it is true?

Since not a single response before mine answered your question--

yes, they did.

hitest Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:21 pm

How? What's the tie to the Nazis sb001?

Zundfolge1432 Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:04 pm

Cusser wrote: This, I bet.

No this was or is a group of German bird watchers, note the bird on the side of his helmet. The helmet and goggles keeps bird poop off the watchers. A totally harmless group of young lads just communing with nature.

lbs_ft Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:36 pm

In all honesty, I think it's pretty clear that the picture is of a man engaged in some sort of motorsport activity. For safety reasons, he would undoubtedly wear a helmet, and if he were driving a roadster or a motorcycle, he would most definitely need goggles.

The logo on the side of the helmet is nothing more than the logo of the ADAC (Allgemeiner Deutscher Automobil-Club, or General German Automobile Club).

I don't see anything remotely affiliated with the Nazi party, and no conclusions can be drawn to associate them with the Nazi party based purely off this logo.

However, whether or not they actually were affiliated with the Nazi party is something I can't answer.

sodbuster Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:28 pm

The German army first started using that helmet in WW1. like around 1914-1915. this was long before the Nazi party existed. and the helmet was continued to be used by German government agency's such as fire and police departments but painted in different colors than the military grey. But other than that....yea they're all Nazis! :lol: