TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: RMW TDI coolant pipes?
nmerrill Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:45 am

Folks,
Anyone who has bought the RMW TDI coolant pipes;

Have any pictures of the engine bay end, or can you tell me where they terminate in relation to the fire wall?

Will they clear the syncro fuel tank?

They are 1.5 in right?

Yes, I called RMW - they couldn't tell me...

Thanks!
Nat

?Waldo? Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:18 pm

How are the 'TDI coolant pipes' different?

nmerrill Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:06 pm

well, That's what I'm asking!

I THOUGHT that the diesel pipes were longer, and terminated inside the engine bay...
And that perhaps the RMW units replicated that.

?Waldo? Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:38 pm

The '82 diesel pipes are unlike any others as far as I know. The '83 pipes are the same as the 1.9 WBX pipes. Someone with firsthand experience with the later 'other market' TD's would have to comment about the later ones. The TDI was never offered stock in the vanagon so I'm not sure what difference there would be to the pipes.

westyventures Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:47 pm

I installed the first couple sets they produced. They basically duplicate the ending position of a factory diesel Syncro, about 3" past the firewall and pointing straight back. 1.5" all the way through.

nmerrill Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:02 am

westyventures wrote: I installed the first couple sets they produced. They basically duplicate the ending position of a factory diesel Syncro, about 3" past the firewall and pointing straight back. 1.5" all the way through.

So, by that you mean, 3 inches into the engine bay, right?
That's what I'm looking for in my 5 cylinder conversion - less hose to reach all the way to the stock syncro pipes.

westyventures Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:27 am

nmerrill wrote:

So, by that you mean, 3 inches into the engine bay, right?
That's what I'm looking for in my 5 cylinder conversion - less hose to reach all the way to the stock syncro pipes.

Yes, that's what I meant.

nmerrill Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:39 pm

westyventures wrote: I installed the first couple sets they produced. They basically duplicate the ending position of a factory diesel Syncro, about 3" past the firewall and pointing straight back. 1.5" all the way through.

Sorry, just wanted to confirm - the RMW pipes you installed did/would work with the syncro non-diesel tank?

westyventures Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:01 pm

I'm not sure there would be any difference, as they duplicate the path of stock Syncro gasser pipes except for being longer at the rear.

nmerrill Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:49 pm

Thank you sir!