TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 010 transmission
bikeone43 Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:00 pm

I have put a 010 automatic trans into my berry mini-t vw now do I really need the kick-down or can I work around it if not what would be best way to hook-up the linkage

Multi69s Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:21 pm

You do not "NEED" the kick down switch, but without it you will be leaving quite a bit of acceleration on the table when driving with the transmission in D. Of course you can row the shifter like it is a four speed, then you decide what RPM the transmission shifts at. You didn't mention your engine type, or carburation. If you are running an engine with much of a cam, head work, carbs, then even with the kick down connected, the transmission will not shift at a higher point in the powerband (I'm working on a fix). To make your own kick down, all you need is a normally open momentary micro switch with a lever. Connect one side of the switch up to the hot power from the coil. Connect the other side of the switch to the kick down switch on the trans. Then put a little flap on your carb linkage to hit the switch lever at wide open. Make sure that you slot the mounting holes for the switch, that way you can make fine adjustments.

Here is what I made up for my dual carbed setup.

bikeone43 Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:31 pm

thanks for the reply but mine has the manual lever on the right side of the trans which is a real problem thanks again