TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Backing out on a sale Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
jchughes05 Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:33 pm

Folks,
I had a fellow agree to buy my 87 Vanagon Syncro, I had it listed on Craigslist. He mailed me the Money Orders, which I put into my bank account. After a week of dealing with some crap from him, I decided not to sell it to him. I still have the title, and am considering just sending his money back and telling him the deal is off.... any ideas if this is legal or not?

Thanks!!

skills@eurocarsplus Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:00 pm

make dam sure that money is 100% yours before issuing a refund

TDCTDI Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:00 pm

DO NOT refund any money for a minimum of four weeks. Fraudulent Money orders will clear your bank but may take 2-3 weeks to come back as such, then the bank will ding your account (I wouldn't let them have the vehicle or title until then either). It sounds like you may have someone trying to go at the money order scam from a different angle.

TDCTDI Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:05 pm

When I have people wanting to pay with money orders, I tell them it's a minimum of 5 weeks before I will release said item or refund any funds. They usually quit trying to jack me around.

jchughes05 Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:09 pm

I don't think they are fraudulent.

The guy is just being a dick.

He asked for some photos, which I sent him, but he says I took too long and now he has to find another shipper...he also keeps asking for the title, which I told him I would send with the van, he said he wants it sent certified. As of today, 7 days later, he still hasn't had it shipped, I think he's waiting for the title.

TDCTDI Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:34 pm

Unless you can verify the legitimacy of the buyer through thesamba or other members, I wouldnt release shit until the money orders have had a chance to simmer for a while, ESPECIALLY if they gave you some shit about giving you more than your asking price to pay the shippers with. If they're a truly interested buyer, then they should be able to respect your apprehension when dealing with a payment option known for fraud.

vwinnovator Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:21 pm

took too long and now has to find another shipper???

that's the main pressure of the scam.

hope you still have the title and the van.

I have $3200 of money orders a guy tried to scam with a while back.
(they sent $1200 for the car and $2000 to forward to their "shipper")
I played along to see how far the scam goes....saw right through it...

Post office says they are real, but do not have the watermarks, so unable to cash...

I'd stop all contact until the funds are verified clear.

jchughes05 Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:26 pm

He paid me $5,000 for the van, nothing about paying for a shipper, I told him that was his responsibility and I would not do anything for him in that regard. I still have the van and the title.

hitest Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:34 pm

He didn't pay for the van. Let it sink in that he gave you a piece of paper with $5k on it. You don't have $5k until the company that issued the MO guarantees $5k can be honored on it.

If your first business Tuesday morning is not to visit your bank in person and discuss this matter- you will lose money. Unless your bank really likes you, they don't take kindly to processing a phony MO- and they will charge your account for the bounced check.

Your next call to this guy tomorrow will be to discuss how his MO bounced due to suspicion, and how he will send you $5,200.00 in cash. He will go ballistic- and try everything to convince you that you are to blame. He will say he sunk all his money into the MO and you reply with "it'll still be here when you scrape up the cash."

He's being a dick because he is using terms like photos and shippers to divert your attention away from the fraudulent funds. He wants you to get your shit together because he knows he only has two of three weeks before the banks catch up to him.

Just go to your bank Tuesday and be proactive about this, don't be embarrassed and think you can take care of it over the phone.

Report back here with your findings.

jchughes05 Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:38 pm

My bank is USAA, I can only do business with them over the phone or computer as they are based in San Antonio, but I will definitely call them and inquire.

rcroane Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:07 pm

In general, people who use money orders for this amount of money don't have bank accounts. They don't have bank accounts because banks ask questions.

Insist on PayPal or a certified check. Otherwise, find another buyer.

Zeen Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:45 pm

jchughes05 wrote: Folks,
I had a fellow agree to buy my 87 Vanagon Syncro, I had it listed on Craigslist. He mailed me the Money Orders, which I put into my bank account. After a week of dealing with some crap from him, I decided not to sell it to him. I still have the title, and am considering just sending his money back and telling him the deal is off.... any ideas if this is legal or not?

jchughes05 wrote: I don't think they are fraudulent.

He asked for some photos, which I sent him, but he says I took too long and now he has to find another shipper...he also keeps asking for the title, which I told him I would send with the van, he said he wants it sent certified. As of today, 7 days later, he still hasn't had it shipped, I think he's waiting for the title.

There are a few things going on here.

Sounds like you agreed to a deal. Once there is offer and acceptance and deposit, he owes you the money and you owe him the vehicle. Technically, he can sue you if you try to back out of the deal, and vice versa. Being a dick has nothing to do with it.

But a key point is you don't actually have the money until the money order is completely cleared by your bank. So don't back out of the sale, just explain that to him and wait. Don't let any hysteria by him sway you. If the money order is good, give him the title. If it isn't good, he'll disappear.

Asking for pictures after he has agreed to terms is just stupid, and definitely suspicious.

Glenn Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:49 pm

rcroane wrote: Insist on PayPal or a certified check. Otherwise, find another buyer.
Paypal can be "clawed back" and certified checks and be faked.

Bank EFT's are the safest.

vwracerdave Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:06 am

rcroane wrote: In general, people who use money orders for this amount of money don't have bank accounts. They don't have bank accounts because banks ask questions.
There are lots of people that do not have bank accounts because they owe money to the IRS for back taxes or the State for back child support, for which the State/IRS can seize funds from their account.

Bruce Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:27 am

vwinnovator wrote: Post office says they are real, but do not have the watermarks,
Explain that one.

johnnypan Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:29 am

jchughes05 wrote: I don't think they are fraudulent.

If he's shipping by hotshot then yes,he can lose the original shipper, you cant 'hold' them,they will move on to the next load. If the money orders clear then you need to send him the title so he can ship the vehicle,most shippers wont pick up a car without the title transfer,they face being accused of theft..

Buyers can be difficult,but in my opinion when the moneys changed hands he's earned the right to be a 'dick'..give him what he's bought and be done with it..

jchughes05 Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:36 pm

Thanks, I guess I will mail out the title to him. I had planned on sending it with the van, when it shipped, like I have done in the past when buying a car.

skills@eurocarsplus Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:44 pm

jchughes05 wrote: Thanks, I guess I will mail out the title to him. I had planned on sending it with the van, when it shipped, like I have done in the past when buying a car.

are you 100% sure the $$ is good? I wouldn't ship him (or anyone) a box full of cat turds until the $$ was in my hand.

you don't owe anyone anything until you have the cash, period

jchughes05 Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:52 pm

Well, once the MOs clear, I will mail it.

andk5591 Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:09 pm

This all smells like a scam....and I mean it reeks.....Money orders (funny looking to boot) , pressuring you, title in advance......3 red flags. I have played some of these jerks to see how far they will go.

One big thing to look for is correspondence that almost seems like it was for someone else. Usually they have several scams running and once in a while they slip up and forget what they told who...It actually can be pretty amusing when you catch it.

And yours may just be that he wants to piss you off enough that you send back the money - BUT he also has the title (or at least is trying to get it).....And how much will you be willing to pay to get it back?