TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Cargo door/rocker question
skills@eurocarsplus Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:05 am

I am working on a 65 panel and had a question about the cargo door/rocker interface.

replacement rocker has lock rod "squares" welded to it to strengthen the area where the lock rod sits.

the cargo door have been repaired long before I got to it and was wondering if the bottom of the door is "notched" around the lock rod pockets.

if they are not notched on the door skin (in the gasket area) it will not allow the door to close without pushing the rocker out of shape, and the lock rods will never sit in the pockets

this isn't a concourse d'elegance resto, but I want it to be as right as possible.

I did search the gallery but really couldn't find any photos. I did see a few that looked as if it may be cut back on the door to allow it to sit into the rocker around the lock rod pockets (which is what I am ready to do) but it was unclear if that was the "correct" way.

sorry if it's been covered. bay guy working on a split here....

BarryL Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:58 am

skills@eurocarsplus wrote: ...was wondering if the bottom of the door is "notched" around the lock rod pockets.

If you mean on the inner part, then yes.

This was before I added the rod guide but you can see the notch.

skills@eurocarsplus Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:16 am

it was on the outer skin/gasket channel side of the door.

I thinned that area out about 3/16 and was able to get the door to close. when I get a little further I will post a photo.

I think it's right. so basically the gasket channel needs to be notched to go around the lock pockets.

BarryL Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:19 pm

You mean notches in the seal?

skills@eurocarsplus Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:04 pm

if that is the seal that goes in the rocker that gives a good picture of what I needed to do.

the door skin hit on the lock rod pockets, so I had to notch the door skin/gasket channel on the door in order to go around the pockets.

again, when I get further along I will post a photo.

good, bad or ugly it's just what I am going to have to do to make this work

BarryL Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:01 am

skills@eurocarsplus wrote: if that is the seal that goes in the rocker?
Yes, NOS.