TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Does this auto trans filter screen look ok? Page: 1, 2  Next
blues90 Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:42 pm

I cleaned it in lacquer thinner and then carb cleaner spray and blew it out with compressed air. My only real concern is the slight rust tarnish.

Multi69s Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:39 pm

It could be just me, but it looked like some of the mesh is blocked. Hold it up to a good light source, (but not too bright) and make sure that all of the mesh is clear. If it is, It would be fine, if some of it was blocked, I would replace it.

raygreenwood Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:17 pm

You know....Rockauto has those in Stock with the pan gasket for $5.97.

Just sayin....Ray

squaretobehip Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:22 pm

raygreenwood wrote: You know....Rockauto has those in Stock with the pan gasket for $5.97.

Just sayin....Ray

Can you post a link for future users?

Multi69s Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:52 pm

For all your auto needs (mostly)

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/volkswagen,1972,squareback,1.6l+h4,1370056,transmission-automatic

or

http://www.bulkpart.com/2/category/VW-003.html

raygreenwood Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:01 pm

squaretobehip wrote: raygreenwood wrote: You know....Rockauto has those in Stock with the pan gasket for $5.97.

Just sayin....Ray

Can you post a link for future users?

Multi69 posted the general link....just punch in brand year and car type and it comes right up.

Since stock comes and goes the link changes.

Oh....and the original question....sure...in a pinch you can reuse the screen. Just make sure its really clean. Also make sure it has no rust on it. Ray

blues90 Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:41 pm

I ordered the new filter and gasket from Bulk Part . The one I saw that came as a set was Beck/Arnley and one site shows a few rather large photo's and I see surface rust on those plus the rubber pans gasket may not be a great idea. The Beck/Arnley cost far more as well. Rock auto has three choices .

The people at Bulk Part knew what they were talking about and their filter looks better and they have sold tons and never had an issue . The shipping is the main cost no matter which way unless you have over $99 to spend. Plus Rock Auto you can only purchase on-line. I have only free anti virus so it may be secure on their end but not mine. I don't trust that .

I didn't want to risk using the filter I had , what I don't need is rust in the pump or valve body.

Multi69s Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:44 pm

Best choice :D

blues90 Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:11 pm

Since I have a spare auto trans diff I thought I'd replace the seals but I don't want to remove the ring gear . I can't find a kit for them just some seals not all .

Multi69s Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:34 pm

I'm on break at work right now, but the most important seal is the one between the trans and the diff. If you need help, I can look for it later.

blues90 Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:30 pm

Multi69s wrote: I'm on break at work right now, but the most important seal is the one between the trans and the diff. If you need help, I can look for it later.

I know the diff in the car now is the one the car came with and I've never replaced any of the seals . The spare I have has been sitting since 85.

In 2002 I did replace the gasket and large O'ring to the diff when I rebuilt this trans.

I really don't know what the gears are like in the spare , never heard it in a car .

I am trying to avoid pulling the entire drive train out right now to replace that one seal . The left axle seal on the diff throws a slight amount of diff oil on the LR shock .

I have the proper tool to drain and refill the diff so maybe for now that's what I'll do just to see what it looks like . I'm not losing trans fluid other than a small leak. Plus once I see the condition of the diff fluid and find something else I really don't want to find , then I can freak out about that.

The Bentley only mentions changing the Diff oil on two model years and after 70 it does not unless it's contaminated yet all the reference seems to be pointed at standard trans models . I had to do a search to find how much diff oil a auto trans model uses. Seems one quart of --5 type.

Multi69s Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:17 pm

You mention a small leak from the trans, where is it coming from? In many cases, that is the first sign. I found out the hard way. You can not believe how fast the R&P will wear out once you get a pinion seal leak. One day you have a little puddle on the ground, the next your R&P are howling, and ready for the trash. With these transmissions (at least good ones) and the rebuilding kits becoming more scarce, a ounce of prevention is worth 50lbs of care.

blues90 Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:56 pm

Multi69s wrote: You mention a small leak from the trans, where is it coming from? In many cases, that is the first sign. I found out the hard way. You can not believe how fast the R&P will wear out once you get a pinion seal leak. One day you have a little puddle on the ground, the next your R&P are howling, and ready for the trash. With these transmissions (at least good ones) and the rebuilding kits becoming more scarce, a ounce of prevention is worth 50lbs of care.

The trans leak seems to be either the torque converter seal or the pan gasket because the pan is a bit wet . I don't see a puddle . I have one of those drip pans under the trans and since 2009 last time I cleaned that drip pan there might be a 1/4 pint in it. I'm not losing trans fluid Last I checked it I thought I needed to add a pint , when I did it was over the top mark so I used a small clear hose down the dipstick tub and drew the same amount back out and it was just between the 2 marks like it was before.

I've read that many times people don't see a leak yet are losing trans fluid only to find it in the diff.

I would think if there was an external trans fluid leak and it was coming out of the pinion seal how would it get past the large O'ring and gasket to leak out on the floor. Mine is dry there. If I had the internet back in 2002 when I had the entire drive train out to rebuild the trans I would have replaced the pinion seal . I never knew about it being an issue until lately.

I was not on any VW forums until 2009 so I missed this seal . I see trans seal sets still around and would get one if I could afford it now . Like many people here who have other cars to drive and then do the work I don't .

I need to fix some engine oil leaks and replace the Diff seals . All these parts add up real fast .

It's difficult to see the trans fluid on the stick since it runs down so fast even if I keep the stick level. I think it gets wiped a bit pulling the stick out . Every time I change the fluid it always ends up over the mark so I need to drain some out. This time I think I will try to file or sand in some cross marks to allow the fluid to cling better like the newer cars have.

Multi69s Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:10 pm

It sounds like you are keeping a good eye on it :) . Let us know how the cross hatch works. I'm with you on that, sometime it's a real PITA to get an accurate fluid reading :? .

blues90 Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:09 pm

Since the trans filter and gasket won't be here until monday today I cleaned off some of the crud on the Diff housing and the trans pan and checked the torque of all the CV bolts and the flex plate to converter. They were still in spec.

I tried to remove the Diff filler plug with a 12" 3/8" breaker bar no go. I had it out in 97 .

Is there any concern removing the drain plug once I get the filler plug out . I mean since the plug is steel and the case aluminum or magnesium should I be concerned about the Diff case threads ? There are not rusty at all, at least the bit I can see.

Mike Fisher Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:50 pm

You are using the 17mm 3/8" drive drain plug tool? I use my 1/2" breaker bar w/1/2"X3/8" adapter on stubborn bolts etc. You can also use a cheater pipe extension on 3/8" & 1/2" (especially lug bolts! :x )

blues90 Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:43 pm

Mike Fisher wrote: You are using the 17mm 3/8" drive drain plug tool? I use my 1/2" breaker bar w/1/2"X3/8" adapter on stubborn bolts etc. You can also use a cheater pipe extension on 3/8" & 1/2" (especially lug bolts! :x )

Yes it's the 17mm drain plug 3/8" drive. Same size as the filler plug.

I was afraid it the drain plug is real tight and I force it the threads might be stuck to the drain plug and come out then I'm really screwed. Like I said I have not tired to remove it so it might come loose easy. I recall removing the filler plug and used the 3/8" breaker bar and had no trouble . I was on the wrong side , I was trying to push the breaker bar rather than pull on it. It's difficult to see from the rear since it's in front of the right drive shaft .

Maybe being soooooooooooooooo much older does not help. The drain plug is easy to get at . I have never removed it .

The torque converter bolts I never had a socket that fit to use a torque wrench so I just use a 13mm box 11" long and go by feel . One moved a bit the other 2 were tight they are supposed to be 18 Ft lb's I didn't force them just enough to snug them up with the ring gear held by a 12" long flat blade screw driver.

blues90 Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:20 pm

I ordered this trans filter and screen on the 21st . It's coming from southern FL . It was supposed to be delivered today and looking at UPS which was the only choice offered UPS ground and now it's still in Ft Walton FL where ever that is. It's been sitting there since the 27th then I see an up date about the address then they fix that then it was sent to the wrong facility don't know where . Called UPS can barely understand the customer support person and was told they have it on a truck headed to the proper place. Is the proper place the space station .Oh they put a note in their computer as if this means a damn thing , does this mean if it does not arrive Tuesday the shipping is on them . $14 shipping and all this mishap and extreme man handling by UPFS I can imagine the box arriving smashed then I'll have to deal with that.

They tell me it will be here Tuesday. UPS really sucks I always seem to have issues with them.

If this package is in FL and not air but ground how is it going to wing it's way to southern Calif in one more day.

Man I miss the old days when you could buy anything close by and not pay shipping and actually see the damn thing.

raygreenwood Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:43 pm

blues90 wrote: I ordered this trans filter and screen on the 21st . It's coming from southern FL . It was supposed to be delivered today and looking at UPS which was the only choice offered UPS ground and now it's still in Ft Walton FL where ever that is. It's been sitting there since the 27th then I see an up date about the address then they fix that then it was sent to the wrong facility don't know where . Called UPS can barely understand the customer support person and was told they have it on a truck headed to the proper place. Is the proper place the space station .Oh they put a note in their computer as if this means a damn thing , does this mean if it does not arrive Tuesday the shipping is on them . $14 shipping and all this mishap and extreme man handling by UPFS I can imagine the box arriving smashed then I'll have to deal with that.

They tell me it will be here Tuesday. UPS really sucks I always seem to have issues with them.

If this package is in FL and not air but ground how is it going to wing it's way to southern Calif in one more day.

Man I miss the old days when you could buy anything close by and not pay shipping and actually see the damn thing.

Ft Walton Beach. ...up near Destin....white sand area. Ray

blues90 Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:17 pm

I will NEVER buy anything that ships UPS ever again.

They changed the date to next Monday now , damn liars , it said one day delay .

It's all Ft Walton's UPS freak shows fault they must have been on the damn beach instead of working .