TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: clutch / pressure plate check out
CHenige Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:40 am

We hopefully will be putting the motor into the sand rail this week. It is a 1641 with a new stock solex 30/31 carb and a 110 cam. So pretty base power. I have watched a couple videos of clutch / pressure plate installation and seems pretty straight forward. Looks like the motor came with a basic early clutch. There is some corrosion so we will need to clean that up and give it a good cleaning.

any comments on what we have?

A question on alignment. Do you need to align the clutch only to make sure the motor aligns to the trans on installation? Once the motor is bolted up and you release the clutch it is now free from the motor.

Dale M. Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:36 am

IF you are really good at eyeballing it you can get it close enough to go in.... A regular alignment alignment tool would be best.....

At one time there was quick and dirty way to align the clutch disk, seem to remember it was common tool out of anyone's tool box, but like dummy I never wrote it down, somebody may come along and tell us what it is....

This may be it...

http://bobhooversblog.blogspot.com/2006/12/vw-clutch-alignment-tool.html

Also you might actually ask question in "Engines & Performance" forum...

Dale

chubby53 Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:42 pm

I've used a 1/2" ratchet extension before.

Brian Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:54 pm

Clutch tools are like $3 or you can use a wooden dowel I guess.

CHenige Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:09 pm

Have an alignment tool from when I did my vette so hopefully it will work.

CHenige Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:13 pm

Can anyone tell me what clutch I have? I see some with springs. Is mine an early one? Why are they different?

SamT Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:53 pm

Yours is a "rigid" disk. Its stock. Im not sure what models came with rigid and regular. IMO thats the disk you want.
The pressure plate is an after market sachs. Direct stock replacement. Those with the springs are most likely original.

I have a cut off main shaft I use/have used for years. Most vw people end up with a bunch of broken transmissions and stuff.
The main shaft would have to worn beyond any that I have ever seen not to work.