TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Heading to Austin and San Antonio next month
Danpa Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:07 pm

My wife and I are heading to the Austin, San Antonio, and Fredericksburg area of Texas in the middle of next month. (Just found out I should have suggested it a month later - Texas Vw Classic :( )

Going to see the Alamo and maybe hit some other sights. We'll be there 3 full days.

Any suggestions?

Dan

skapunkfoo Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:11 pm

San Antonio drivers are crazy ass drivers so be careful.

Fredericksburg has some really nice antique shops.

Hopefully this years classic has better weather than last year. There was a pretty good storm. Though a Baja type I did pull out a pick-up towing a trailer out of some mud.

Danpa Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:18 pm

skapunkfoo wrote: San Antonio drivers are crazy ass drivers so be careful.

Fredericksburg has some really nice antique shops.

I worked on the south side of Chicago for 7+ years where traffic laws were optional, so it shouldn't be a problem. I've seen sidewalk driving and some SPECTACULAR wreckage after the weekends there, especially on Garfield Blvd.

Dan

Harris Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:24 am

Dan,

If you are coming through Dallas, I'll be glad to meet you and welcome you to the state. Let me know if Dallas is the route and you can stop for a few minutes. I can give a cell number

lou harris

Danpa Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:47 am

Lou,
We are flying into Austin, but thanks for the offer of hospitality.

Any swap meets or shows going on around there?

Dan

Zundfolge1432 Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:32 am

Fredericksburg is a great show and the hill country on the way in is picturesque as well.As you know the town was settled by Germans so the VW theme blends well and the townspeople make visitors feel welcome. I was surprised at the distances people travel to get there, with many driving long distances in their VWs. The swap area was also busy with things to look at, OEM dual port heads for sale cheap. Have fun and if you can drive north a little bit to a world renowned open pit BBQ place.

Zundfolge1432 Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:40 am

Harris wrote: Dan,

If you are coming through Dallas, I'll be glad to meet you and welcome you to the state. Let me know if Dallas is the route and you can stop for a few minutes. I can give a cell number

lou harris

To anyone else I highly recommend driving in the back way using the secondary roads. The blue bonnets are out, it's better than the souless
Interstate grind. :D

fly2kads Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:34 pm

Austin: I am admittedly biased, but the Texas state capitol is worth a visit. It will spoil you for all other state capitols. Really.

San Antonio: Besides the Alamo, go see some of the other missions as well. One of my favorite activities in SA is the McNay art museum. A night-time walk on the Riverwalk is a lot of fun.

Fredericksburg: At mid-month, we'll be on the cusp of bluebonnet season. Head north out of town on Hwy 16 and drive the Willow City Loop. You will thank me. If you want some exercise, continue north and hike Enchanted Rock. Since exercise will make you hungry, continue driving north on 16 to Llano for some BBQ at Cooper's.

Harris Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:09 pm

Danpa wrote: Lou,
We are flying into Austin, but thanks for the offer of hospitality.

Any swap meets or shows going on around there?

Dan

Guys, Rent a car and head to the hill country Fredericksburg, Rolling curved roads with good scenery. Good food and like was mentioned before old two lane roads are perfect for motorcycles and cars. Stop when the mood hits you. Friendly people. You may never go home. Have a good trip. Texas has captured people like you before.

Lou.

Danpa Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:00 am

Thanks for the responses!

We are planning on seeing Austin, San Antonio, and Fredericksburg mainly, spending a day at each. Although from what I'm finding out, maybe I should have planned more time.

I also found out that a young lady that works in our office used to live in San Marcos, so she gave me a few suggestions, too.

Sounds like it's going to be a great trip and maybe a return in the future might be possible. (except in April - Texas VW Classic, Lone Star Roundup, Austin Speed Shop, etc.)

Thanks Again!

Dan

gt1953 Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:59 am

More time for sure is on your next visit to the area. I have a brother in San Antonio, the last visits have been a week. This year staying for two weeks. The Texas classic is on the list as I am staying Saturday evening in Fredericksburg. You will be back.