TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Upholstery needed to repair seat on 1966 Model Fastback
greek_tony Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:21 am

Well, the nice sunny weather that has preserved the metalwork on the fastback has made the seat material brittle and I've ended up with a split in the middle (perforated) section of the driver seat bottom :cry:

I've searched the site here, and I can't seem to find a mention of a place I could get a section of the proper vinyl to have it replaced.

Any ideas? Europe would be better, but not essential.

Thanks!!!

Nectar_F Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:58 am

ελα μεγαλε, do you have a pic of the section you need? it may help.

😄

greek_tony Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:31 am

Nectar_F wrote: ελα μεγαλε, do you have a pic of the section you need? it may help.

😄

Haha!
Yeah, i'll upload it later. :)

greek_tony Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:07 am

This is what I'm looking for. Is it the same as normal basket weave?

Nectar_F Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:20 am

it looks like basketweave, but i wonder how similar the new stuff, is to the original....

Tram Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:23 am

greek_tony wrote: This is what I'm looking for. Is it the same as normal basket weave?

That can be repaired. Do you have an auto upholstery shop in your area?

Nectar_F Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:07 pm

Tram wrote: greek_tony wrote: This is what I'm looking for. Is it the same as normal basket weave?

That can be repaired. Do you have an auto upholstery shop in your area?

repaired with the patch and fill method, often used with splits in leather? the only reason i couldnt be repaired, is if it really brittle and dry, but from the pics, it looks like its in quite good condition

TMI Products Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:36 pm

if you try to repair/replace it with current basket weave, it will not match.

The original basket weave is more of a match to the Chrysler linkweave of the 60's.

greek_tony Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:04 am

Thanks for all the replies! :)

I'm gonna talk to my local VW place and see what they can do (even maybe putting in a new piece from another matching seat if we can find it).

Good to know that the basket weave is different.