TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: California SB 1239 Page: 1, 2  Next
SGKent Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:10 pm

California SB 1239 was introduced 2/18/2016. If it passes without modification, and is also approved by the Assembly, and the Governor signs it, it will move the smog year from 1976 to 1981. Anything made prior to 1980 would be exempt from testing However if a remote sensor picks up the vehicle and it gets pulled over, and has been tampered with it would be subject to the same penalties as any other car tampered with. The same wording was introduced in 2012 and failed.

skills@eurocarsplus Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:16 pm

call me stupid, but what kind of remote sensor would "pick it up"?

are you saying it would be subject to a roadside test?

old DKP driver Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:13 pm

In California:

There has been (REMOTE) sensing since around 1990 mostly on freeway
off-ramps and they test the emission's as you exit. and record your
vehicle for those emission's you are producing. 8)

Nothing new for us but, this is going to be regulatory in the future and really
will help all of us in our GREAT STATE.

On the other hand, We still need to Stop all the state of California employees from spending countless hours online during their working
hours...........Does this sound familiar sgk? :oops:

airschooled Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:42 pm

Roadside inspections have always been voluntary. Results are given to the driver, and data is primarily used to gauge effectiveness of smog checks, not to substitute for them.

Quote: There are no consequences to consumers, regardless of their vehicle's emission control equipment or its emission levels.

https://www.bar.ca.gov/consumer/roadside_inspection_program.html

I really don't think they can issue citations or penalties on the spot. Does anyone have any first-hand experience with a checkpoint? (If I see one I will gladly drive my bus through. As long as they don't drive it……)

Stanagon Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:08 am

skills@eurocarsplus wrote: call me stupid, but what kind of remote sensor would "pick it up"?

And you thought CT was tough...

skills@eurocarsplus Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:07 am

Stanagon wrote: skills@eurocarsplus wrote: call me stupid, but what kind of remote sensor would "pick it up"?

And you thought CT was tough...

we have no such program for old cars...

25 and older are exempt, so a 1991 isn't tested and as the years go by, so will 1992, 1993, 1994 etc...

what is a pain is getting the monitors to complete for OBD2 testing. something as simple as a thermostat being lazy can prevent this.

honestly, CT is fairly easy compared to what I have read on the forums here.

c21darrel Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:15 pm

Quote: I really don't think they can issue citations or penalties on the spot. Does anyone have any first-hand experience with a checkpoint?

I was guided into one, i didnt know I could decline. I didnt pass. No citation, but ever since my truck has had to get "smogged" every year instead of every other year.
I know why it doesn't pass. My catalytic converters were stolen right off the truck in my work parking lot. New OEM cats were close to $700. I opted for much less expensive replacements and the truck never passed a smog test since.

ach60 Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:10 pm

SGKent wrote: California SB 1239 was introduced 2/18/2016. If it passes without modification, and is also approved by the Assembly, and the Governor signs it, it will move the smog year from 1976 to 1981. Anything made prior to 1980 would be exempt from testing However if a remote sensor picks up the vehicle and it gets pulled over, and has been tampered with it would be subject to the same penalties as any other car tampered with. The same wording was introduced in 2012 and failed.

It didn't pass last time due to issues from the Central Vally being polluted by the SF Bay Area.
And too be honest we don't want this to pass,
GM, Chrysler, Ford, and Toyota made too much crap in the late 70's early 80's.
If these POS polluting piles of trash get back on the road, we'll all regret it.
PS
VW and VWoA wasn't worried about remote sensors, I wouldn't worry about them.

Keith Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:13 pm

ach60 wrote: SGKent wrote: California SB 1239 was introduced 2/18/2016. If it passes without modification, and is also approved by the Assembly, and the Governor signs it, it will move the smog year from 1976 to 1981. Anything made prior to 1980 would be exempt from testing However if a remote sensor picks up the vehicle and it gets pulled over, and has been tampered with it would be subject to the same penalties as any other car tampered with. The same wording was introduced in 2012 and failed.

It didn't pass last time due to issues from the Central Vally being polluted by the SF Bay Area.
And too be honest we don't want this to pass,
GM, Chrysler, Ford, and Toyota made too much crap in the late 70's early 80's.
If these POS polluting piles of trash get back on the road, we'll all regret it.
PS
VW and VWoA wasn't worried about remote sensors, I wouldn't worry about them.

Just remember, someone out there is saying the same thing about our beloved VW's.

If they DO get back on the roads, they will likely be back on the roads because of enthusiast like us and likely won't drive them too much either so, I don't see your point.

That same argument you are making is being used against us and our classics daily to try and get US off the roads.

ach60 Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:55 am

I disagree.
Go to your local Walmart and walk around the parking lot and see what shit normal folks actually drive.
Yes it would be nice to not have to Smog my '78,
but not worth it with dregs of the Malaise Era in the mix.

my59 Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:30 am

In Ct one rarely sees any craptastical 70's and 80's cars on the road. It is a benefit from all the salt DOT uses.

doc hopper Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:56 am

I was waved into a roadside inspection by the Highway Patrol (they like a particular stretch of road about a mile from my house).

The officer, who was younger than my VW, asked what year it was, and when told it was a 1966, he just waved me on my way.

bluebus86 Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:30 pm

http://semasan.com/page.asp?content=aa2016CA2&...n=LegAlert

Above is the link to the SEMA website that has the information on how to contact the 11 Senators on the Transportation Committee that will be voting on SB1239.

Please take time to contact each one of them and urge support for SB1239.

thank you!!!

SGKent Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:46 pm

that they failed you for a copper pipe that made things work better is a perfect example of what I refer to. If you had painted it with black rubberized paint they never would have wondered about it.

BUSBOSS Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:44 pm

Please take the 20 seconds to support this legislation by sending an email to the members of the senate committee listed in the link. Then send an email to your own Senator in case the bill makes it that far.

http://semasan.com/page.asp?content=aa2016CA2&...n=LegAlert

John Rice Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:23 pm

Gents:

FYI: California DOES do remote sensing. The only difference from what was stated earlier is that they do it using the on ramps, so you are on the power! Three guesses how this affects your readings.

These are high tech wonders and also record your license plate. I believe they are fixed in place and would love to see a listing of where they are, as well as anyone who is aware of favorite places for the roadside inspections. Be aware on these roadside inspections that the hand outs they supply to the CHP officers does NOT include the word voluntary on them! Some of the CHPs aren't even aware that it is voluntary. I keep a copy of the original document [you can find all this on the BAR website but it is buried] mostly because I hate the deception and sometimes overbearing attitudes.

Drive Safei

enjoyther1de Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:16 pm

Welcome to the future boys.
*kchh* Dispatch, I've got a vw bug gettin on the fwy. Looks non smog exempt.*kchh* *kchh* Gonna felony stop him, send backup..*kchh*.

pyrOman Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:27 am

John Rice wrote: Gents:

FYI: California DOES do remote sensing. The only difference from what was stated earlier is that they do it using the on ramps, so you are on the power! Three guesses how this affects your readings.

These are high tech wonders and also record your license plate. I believe they are fixed in place and would love to see a listing of where they are, as well as anyone who is aware of favorite places for the roadside inspections. Be aware on these roadside inspections that the hand outs they supply to the CHP officers does NOT include the word voluntary on them! Some of the CHPs aren't even aware that it is voluntary. I keep a copy of the original document [you can find all this on the BAR website but it is buried] mostly because I hate the deception and sometimes overbearing attitudes.

Drive Safei

Could you scan it and make it an img or pdf and uploaded to the gallery here? I'm sure we all would want to do as you and keep a copy of it too! :?

airschooled Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:36 pm

John Rice wrote:

Drive Safe

Hmm, you got a few points there, but there are a lot of wild exaggerations in your post to scare people into joining your line of thought.

The South Coast Air Quality Management District is instigating a fleet of equipment that WILL measure tailpipe emissions AND record your license plate number. If you are thought to be a gross polluter, you will be ASKED to join a VOLUNTARY program via mailed letter. Here are some details parsed from a private smog help site:

Quote: (1) An infrared beam shot across the highway picks up the contents of a car's exhaust. A calibrator and computer on the other side of the road screen and measure the emissions.
(2) At the same time, a camera snaps a picture of the vehicle's license plate. The state uses that information to find and notify the vehicle's owner if emissions are too high.
(3) Vehicle owners are mailed a letter asking them to participate in a voluntary vehicle repair program.

And more from the LA Times:

Quote: After three letters, the owner must go to a special inspection station and prove that mandatory improvements have been made.
The remote sensors are still being tested and won't be fully operational until next fall. At this point, the state is rotating three sensors among freeways in the Los Angeles area, including Ventura County. Every car that drives by them gets photographed, regardless of its emissions. But nobody is being cited for contributing to the area's ongoing smog problem.
No, you will not get pulled out of your car, handcuffed and sent to the Twin Towers for spewing out too much crud. But you will get a polite letter in the mail, suggesting you volunteer for a program that will pay for up to $500 in emission system control repairs or $1,000 to take your vehicle off the road permanently.

The program began in March and so far 2,000 letters have been sent out, resulting in a couple hundred vehicles being repaired and a few dozen scrapped.

After a few hours of searching there is NOT ONE person on any message board on any website or Google search that can prove that they have a letter or response. All bark and no bite. Everyone has stories. Nobody has proof.

Proof is in the pictures.
Robbie

skills@eurocarsplus Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:07 am

asiab3 wrote:

Quote:
(3) Vehicle owners are mailed a letter asking them to participate in a voluntary vehicle repair program.

And more from the LA Times:

Quote: After three letters, the owner must go to a special inspection station and prove that mandatory improvements have been made.

Robbie

the way I read that it seems that the program isn't very "voluntary" to me...unless I have misunderstood something

going to roll coal on a allis chalmers now :P