TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Plz Help!! Seam rust floor pan under rear seat
dailyoliver Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:18 pm

Hi Guys.

I am a little freaked out because I have only had my bus for a year. Unfortunately what I found when checking the floor - required me to strip out the entire bus.

The PO had installed a chipboard layer 1" thick over the cargo panels. This was acting like a giant wet sponge - I literally squeezed a bucket of water out of it. It was covered by a layer of plywood, a rubber matting then a layer of linoleum - this sealed in the wet.

The worst affected areas were under the rear seat.

My question is what should I do - I can't seem to find these panels anywhere - what are they called and do I have to fabricate them?

Note: I do have a welder (having just completed a short night school college course).

Secondly - it's near the gas tank so does this mean I have to remove it, along with the engine & transmission (never done either before). I am new to all this and to be fair a little freaked out about it.

I guess what I am asking is - where do I start and what do you suggest I do?
I really appreciate any help or direction you can give. Thanks in advance, DO

Q-Dog Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:46 pm

I would suggest you figure out where the water is coming from and fix that first.

grtfldan Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:54 pm

cut out the rust out and make templates from the holes. make them about 1/2 in bigger so you have solid metal to weld with. after you cut out the metal round the edges. then stitch weld the panel in. A piece of copper behind the weld help to absorb the heat and helps with blowthru. thats a good area to learn in because its all hidden.

dailyoliver Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:20 am

Thanks for the feedback guys - well appreciated!

I think it was condensation soaking into the fibreboard? I will POR-15 the floor and cut these areas out - will post pics.

I assume I must remove the engine/transmission and gas tank to weld this area? Never done either before (band new to all this) :oops:

Cheers guys,

Daily Oliver

grtfldan Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:41 am

yes id remove all . Check out chassis saver paint. Its a much better product then por

Q-Dog Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:52 pm

If the chipboard had plywood and rubber and other stuff over it there is not enough contact with the air for water to condense out of the air and into the wood. Wood does not work that way.

If you really did have water dripping out of the material you pulled out, you have a leak somewhere.

dailyoliver Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:32 pm

Ok..

That makes sense - perhaps I do have a leak?

Will rip it out the rest and observe where water comes from. Thanks for suggestions, and recommendations regarding chassis saver.

I found a welding supply guy up the road - he restores old British motorbikes - he was super helpful. Will buy a mixed tank and fabricate the patches needed.

One question:

Any ideas how to put the channels (the bits that give the panel strength) into the patch? I will need these to align with the original tin, so that the patch will fit and not leave a 10 mil gap.

Cheers -
DO

grtfldan Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:06 pm

I notch out a piece of wood then hammer the metal into the notch to form the shape.

dailyoliver Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:58 pm

grtfldan wrote: I notch out a piece of wood then hammer the metal into the notch to form the shape.

:idea: Brilliant idea - never thought of that - thank you so much!

Cheers guys - really appreciated your ideas and suggestions.

Ok, it's not so daunting now..

Cheers

D/O

bugheadred Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:04 am

why would you take the motor and tranny and gas tank out I think there plenty far away unless the tank is leaking I would think about not wilding where that bullet hole is an maybe put a patch with a couple pop rivets there (don't drill into far its not structure

grtfldan Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:30 pm

I wouldnt take that chance.

dailyoliver Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:38 pm

Hi Guys.

I think I will take the engine out as will give me chance to sort some items in the engine bay area.

I have heard it easier to get the engine back in - if both eng/tranny are taken out together? Having never done this on a type 4 engine (or any other) for that matter - can't comment. Another guy said drop the engine 4" and the gas tank will come out - don't need to remove the engine fully?

Thanks for your comments tho.. D/O

dailyoliver Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:35 pm

Just to help anyone else faced with this problem.

A welding guy up the road from me, recommended that talk to a wrecking yard and cut the panel out where marked with yellow lines. This cut would provide enough excess to trim it to fit.

Sounded like a good idea, because it incorporated the joint and rusted section. It would be much easier than fabricating the section(s) needed.

Here's what he suggested:

Thanks for all the input - D/O

grtfldan Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:44 pm

Most junkyards dont hang on to vws like they used to. If you do find one, they will more than likely want to do the cutting, for a fee. Your areas are relitivily small as well.
Ymmv
Dan

dailyoliver Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:41 pm

grtfldan wrote: Most junkyards dont hang on to vws like they used to. If you do find one, they will more than likely want to do the cutting, for a fee. Your areas are relitivily small as well.
Ymmv
Dan

One guy wanted $400 to cut it out (15 mins work) - I said WTF!! However I have another guy looking - if not, it's back to plan B.

Cheers - Chris.
D/O