TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Gravel guard or body paint inside fenders.
wardk Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:24 am

I am taking the bug to paint shop soon and was wondering if I should have the painter do inside the fenders and wheel wells or just gravel guard?

[email protected] Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:30 am

I used brush on truck bed liner in my wheel wells and am very happy with the durability.

wardk Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:16 am

Did you put it on over primer or paint?

Mike Fisher Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:02 am

Paint your inner fenders off the car base/clear in & out. They will be shiny & chips to the clear coat do not chip the paint & don't show much. You can spot spray a little more clear on the inners every 5 years if necessary? 8)

[email protected] Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:20 am

wardk wrote: Did you put it on over primer or paint?

The original paint was still there. I judiciously removed the undercoating. Undercoating is useless in wheel wells as it chips easily. I uses acid primer on the paint to get good adhesion and then the truck bed liner on that. I really enjoy the gravel roads of southern Indiana. I have a lot more chips on the outside of my rear fenders (two part epoxy) and none on the truck bed liner on the inside of the fenders.

wardk Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:45 pm

I went to the painter , he said put on paintable gravel guard. It comes in a rattle can, levels out nice and you can still see the spot welds under it.