TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Shifter stick housing, is it wrong?
wanta60sbug Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:46 pm

I recently bought a project 1960 Bus and the shift stick and pieces were in the cargo area in a box. After cleaning, greasing and installing a new spring and reverse lockout plate, the shifter feels wrong. I understand the adjustment of the shifter plate on the floor. I have researched through the past topics to find my answer to this question without luck. The shifter housing on the shifter stick appears to be wrong and to short. The way I understand is that the collar on the shifter above the ball is supposed to ride on top of the reverse lockout plate. Look at my picture below(mainly the housing) and see what I mean. I did find pictures in the classifieds of shifters w/ the housings, and the housings all look taller than mine. Thanks a bunch.

mandraks Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:58 pm

there are some 3 different shifters available

the early through 59 straight shifter that sits right close to the seat base

then there are 2 later bent shifters that sit farther away from the seat base:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=640597&highlight=early+shifter

this should show this pretty good

wanta60sbug Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:23 pm

mandraks wrote: there are some 3 different shifters available

the early through 59 straight shifter that sits right close to the seat base

then there are 2 later bent shifters that sit farther away from the seat base:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=640597&highlight=early+shifter

this should show this pretty good

I understand that there are three different shifters available, I was asking more about the metal housing that bolts to the floor. I think my shifter is the correct shifter, just the wrong housing. Thx

mandraks Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:36 pm

i think there are pictures of the different housings as well as the different length of the shifters. if yours don't work, you need the other one....

glideking Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:51 pm

On page 50 of the funky truck thread I look at this situation. You may have the '59 shift ball housing I needed. I had to make one. Wanna trade?
Kurt

wanta60sbug Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:03 pm

glideking wrote:

On page 50 of the funky truck thread I look at this situation. You may have the '59 shift ball housing I needed. I had to make one. Wanna trade?
Kurt

Yes, I could trade you for the unmodified one. It seems that this would help us both. Btw, I really enjoyed your funky truck thread. Awesome work! Thx Jason

glideking Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:45 pm

Turns out you had a bug shift lever ball housing. Way too short to be for a bus.
Kurt

wanta60sbug Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:31 am

glideking wrote: Turns out you had a bug shift lever ball housing. Way too short to be for a bus.
Kurt

Ok, I didn't realize mine was a shifter housing for a bug. If your bus housing has more value than the bug housing, I would like to do the right thing and send you some money for the difference or if you would like yours back, just let me know. Sorry about that.

zozo Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:52 am

wanta60sbug wrote: glideking wrote: Turns out you had a bug shift lever ball housing. Way too short to be for a bus.
Kurt

Ok, I didn't realize mine was a shifter housing for a bug. If your bus housing has more value than the bug housing, I would like to do the right thing and send you some money for the difference or if you would like yours back, just let me know. Sorry about that.

Stand-up guy. Nice. Very nice. Thank you.

glideking Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:02 pm

Nether of them have much value. At least you have the parts you need. I have extra. I will continue my studies of shifter variations.
Kurt