TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1971 Squareback intake boots Page: 1, 2  Next
fifty9singlecab Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:11 pm

Ok I'm having issues finding intake boots for my 1971 fuel injected Squareback. It seems 1971 is a year of its own. Or when ordering 1971 isn't listed. I want the locking rubber ones with clamps. Mine appears to be 1 1/4 inch on both sides. I took all four original ones off and figured I could get replacements quickly but I was wrong. I need some like yesterday. Is there something else I can use and be able to slide in between the crack of the intake tubes? Thanks in advance.

Bobnotch Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:02 pm

fifty9singlecab wrote: Ok I'm having issues finding intake boots for my 1971 fuel injected Squareback. It seems 1971 is a year of its own. Or when ordering 1971 isn't listed. I want the locking rubber ones with clamps. Mine appears to be 1 1/4 inch on both sides. I took all four original ones off and figured I could get replacements quickly but I was wrong. I need some like yesterday. Is there something else I can use and be able to slide in between the crack of the intake tubes? Thanks in advance.

Those boots should be the same from 68 to 73.
As a last resort, try NAPA, CarQuest, or your local FLAPS.

KTPhil Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:05 pm

Nothing unique about '71. All years are exactly the same.

Hard to find the original woven hose sections. Most is now plain rubber or internally reinforced. But they should work if they are the right size. If you first straighten and loosen all the mounting for the runners and the IAD, slip the rubbers on, and then tighten everything, it should seal without clamps.

Pattyb292 Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:40 pm

The boot is a hard fit but it will go on, a little soap and Lube and it will slip right on. But I had to make my own hose clamp combo to make it work because I could not find the original clamps.

fifty9singlecab Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:01 am

I don't want the original equipment. I want the locking rubber boots if that will seal it. I'm no mechanic and I have a bit of a temper. The stock boots will just make me mad. I'm not cut out for patience lol. JC Whitney has EMPI ones but like I said before the fitment skips 1971. I'm gonna order them anyway. Thanks everyone for your replys. I'll advise how it works out.

raygreenwood Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:00 am

fifty9singlecab wrote: I don't want the original equipment. I want the locking rubber boots if that will seal it. I'm no mechanic and I have a bit of a temper. The stock boots will just make me mad. I'm not cut out for patience lol. JC Whitney has EMPI ones but like I said before the fitment skips 1971. I'm gonna order them anyway. Thanks everyone for your replys. I'll advise how it works out.

A temper and lack or patience?......sell the car now.....really. Ray

KTPhil Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:36 am

Pattyb292 wrote: But I had to make my own hose clamp combo to make it work because I could not find the original clamps.

That's because they never came from VW with clamps!

Tram Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:25 pm

raygreenwood wrote: fifty9singlecab wrote: I don't want the original equipment. I want the locking rubber boots if that will seal it. I'm no mechanic and I have a bit of a temper. The stock boots will just make me mad. I'm not cut out for patience lol. JC Whitney has EMPI ones but like I said before the fitment skips 1971. I'm gonna order them anyway. Thanks everyone for your replys. I'll advise how it works out.

A temper and lack or patience?......sell the car now.....really. Ray

Agree. This won't end well.

Tram Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:27 pm

KTPhil wrote: Pattyb292 wrote: But I had to make my own hose clamp combo to make it work because I could not find the original clamps.

That's because they never came from VW with clamps!

You beat me to it!!! Observe:

W1K1 Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:08 pm

I see tearing out FI and changing over to "simple" center mount carb in 3-2-1....... :popcorn:

fifty9singlecab Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:08 pm

Well beings my 71 is all original with working A/C. Everything on the car works. Clock, door chime, every light, heat, 78,000 actual miles, no rust, it's been stored inside since new. And I'm the 2nd owner. I would change it to carb or carbs but it runs excellent just as it is now. I just need these boots installed because one was leaking and I wanted to replace all of them to make it look good plus fix a future problem later on. And in all honesty I don't have a temper but I don't have a lot of patience. I give up quick because generally I end up breaking something else and it ends up costing me lots more for someone else to fix it. Now my question... These "locking" boots with clamps? Will they work on my car? If I get the factory ones I'll have to remove the tubes and honestly I think that job is over my head. The problem is these locking boots are 1 1/4 on one end and 1 1/2 on the other. My tubes are 1 1/4 on both ends. So I guess my question is can I tighten the 1 1/2 boot down enough for it to work on the 1 1/4 tube. And has anyone used these type intake boots on a fuel injected squareback before?

Donnie strickland Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:14 pm

You are asking if you can use Bug intake boots on your Type 3, correct?

As you have pointed out, they're the wrong size. There's also no way to get them on without removing the intakes, in which case you might as well use the correct ones.

fifty9singlecab Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:28 pm

When you google Squareback intake boot it shows a set of boots with clamps on them that come apart and then lock back together then you tighten the boots down. I guess they are for a beetle I honestly don't know. I guess if I were an expert I'd know this and I wouldn't need the samba to ask for help. I can work on my own things somewhat but I'm far from a mechanic. But when I googled the part I need it shows the boots that I'm talking about. So with that being said I'm asking if they will work. I want it fixed right and I would love to be the one to do it. I'm just trying to save all I can in doing so.

Tram Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:50 pm

fifty9singlecab wrote: When you google Squareback intake boot it shows a set of boots with clamps on them that come apart and then lock back together then you tighten the boots down. I guess they are for a beetle I honestly don't know. I guess if I were an expert I'd know this and I wouldn't need the samba to ask for help. I can work on my own things somewhat but I'm far from a mechanic. But when I googled the part I need it shows the boots that I'm talking about. So with that being said I'm asking if they will work. I want it fixed right and I would love to be the one to do it. I'm just trying to save all I can in doing so.

This is because catalog programmers know nothing about Type 3s... they think that since the Type 3 engine is type 1 based that sure, all Type 1 parts must fit a Type 3 then... right?

It's like taking your Type 3 to a "VW expert" for an engine overhaul and then you can't set the timing or get it to run right because the guy oriented the distributor drive gear like a Type 1.

Before you order anything come here first. It may take some extra time, but so does ordering incorrect parts because nobody outside this forum really knows these cars.

Taking the intake runners off to do this isn't entirely necessary. It actually makes more sense to lift out the throttle body given that the correct bakelite spacers for the runners are pretty much NLA anyways.

remove the air cleaner, disconnect your cold start valve fuel line, unplug the throttle sensor switch, disconnect the throttle cable, twist/ pull the intake boots away from the throttle body on the runners till you see the splits they cover, then get a 13mm wrench and a socket on a universal joint with an extension and undo the two nuts/ bolts under the TB. Gently pull off your vac lines and note where they go.

Pull your old boots off the runners and install new ones with silicone spray. Installation is, as they say, the reverse of removal.

Don't be a gorilla with anything. :)

The A/C compressor and bracket will make this a little more difficult but it's a great thing to have so no moaning. :wink:

fifty9singlecab Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:12 am

You're awesome! Thanks so much. I'll order the original boots today and start my process soon. I'll post the outcome. Thanks again.

fifty9singlecab Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:18 pm

Ok Tram I removed the fuel injection part. It was pretty easy and all went well. Now I just have to wait on the boots. Thanks again for the directions. This is the reason why I love this site. Like I said before I'm not a mechanic by any means. I do better with how to pictures or videos but your step by step directions worked out just fine. I guess I'm a wanna be. I have every kind of tool a man can purchase but I don't know how to use most of them lol. It does make me proud of myself though when I accomplish something.

Tram Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:28 pm

fifty9singlecab wrote: Ok Tram I removed the fuel injection part. It was pretty easy and all went well. Now I just have to wait on the boots. Thanks again for the directions. This is the reason why I love this site. Like I said before I'm not a mechanic by any means. I do better with how to pictures or videos but your step by step directions worked out just fine. I guess I'm a wanna be. I have every kind of tool a man can purchase but I don't know how to use most of them lol. It does make me proud of myself though when I accomplish something.

Glad I could help out. Sometimes what seems like the logical way is actually the long way home. :wink:

fifty9singlecab Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:41 pm

Ok I got the boots I ordered today and they are the wrong size. I need 1 1/4 inch. Does anyone know where I can them? I need four of them. Thanks!

Dfasty Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:48 pm

https://www.westcoastmetric.com/category/920/engine_seals__parts here is a link.

fifty9singlecab Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:34 pm

Thank you Dfasty. I ordered those plus some other stuff my wife said I didn't have to have :-)