TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Where to run wires to motor
CHenige Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:53 pm

On my sand rail we have a bunch of wires going from the console to the motor. We are running the wires from the console straight down to the floor and then back between the seats. From there the wires go to four areas: tail lamps, battery, regulator and coil/distributor.

My question is how to run the wires to the motor. Our plan is to run three wire chases from the lower center just behind the seats.

Two different chases will run around the sides of the motor (mounted to the motor somehow) and the third will go up to the gas tank mount and then run along the inside of the cage to the rear taillights.

Does this all make sense or is there some other proper way to run them. I could run the wire along the frame and then cut into the motor but then the wires are going through the air unsupported.

Dale M. Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:47 pm

I would take all them around one side of motor (generally starter side becasue that is where power is tapped) and break out leads for coil and alternator and what ever and continue on with rest to rear cage to where lights are.....

Less paths the neater it looks and easier it is to protect wiring from potential damage...

Dale

Mal evolent Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:40 am

I would route it all through a european style terminal board

https://www.radioshack.com/products/radioshack-12-position-european-style-mini-terminal-strip

to have one single location for troubleshooting and modification.

Dale M. Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:43 am

Mal evolent wrote: I would route it all through a european style terminal board

https://www.radioshack.com/products/radioshack-12-position-european-style-mini-terminal-strip

The convince may be nice ...But it can also be one more failure point for wires to come loose or corrosion to set in and damage connections...

Dale

dirtkeeper Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:51 am

Dale M. wrote: Mal evolent wrote: I would route it all through a european style terminal board

The convince may be nice ...But it can also be one more failure point for wires to come loose or corrosion to set in and damage connections
Dale

I agree. I had this problem 1st time around on my bug and have eliminated the junction I had. I currently have a similar problem on my sawmill that spends it's time outdoors. In that case the junction is even within another weather resistant case. I would pass on any additional junctions

bajamike560 Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:27 pm

Bit off topic, once you figure out how and were to run the wires, in the old race car we ran a "cannon plug". Positive pin connection that screwed together, used in aircraft. got mine at the aircraft surplus store. All wires past the starter going to engine was in the plug, unscrew and small harness comes out with engine. Did the same with front mounted light bar, 2 bolts and 1 plug to screw in.
Hope this helps.

Mike

Sandjunky Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:42 pm

I just ran mine through wire loom and routed everything where it needed to go. I decided on an up and over approach and kept it off the transmission, but I have plenty of room and tie down spots.

This will get tied down with a cable tie to keep from pulling against the terminal connections.

The positive terminal to the battery is just hanging in this pic. It isn't hooked up yet.

PhillipM Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:57 pm

bajamike560 wrote: Bit off topic, once you figure out how and were to run the wires, in the old race car we ran a "cannon plug". Positive pin connection that screwed together, used in aircraft. got mine at the aircraft surplus store. All wires past the starter going to engine was in the plug, unscrew and small harness comes out with engine. Did the same with front mounted light bar, 2 bolts and 1 plug to screw in.
Hope this helps.

Mike

That's what my engine loom runs through - can just take the motor out with the whole harness then too with quick twist on the connector:

Dale M. Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:19 pm

For a VW motor you have what 4 maybe 5 connections, what is need for "harness disconnect" and how many times a week are you going to be removing motor...

Dale

bajamike560 Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:00 pm

Dale M. wrote: For a VW motor you have what 4 maybe 5 connections, what is need for "harness disconnect" and how many times a week are you going to be removing motor...

Dale

Did mine this way in my old class 5 unlimited Baja. Helps if there is a need to remove engine during a race. No real need other than that. But it does make it easier when removing engine, and keeps things tidy and clean in the correct application.

Mike

dustymojave Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:16 pm

I never found a cannon plug with one terminal big enough to handle the 10ga wire from starter B+ to Alternator B+ other than one that was ALL big terminals and I really didn't need THAT big of a cannon plug. So I have always used a terminal strip on the firewall or on the frame crossmember above the bellhousing.