TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Help me choose color of 1971 Westfalia
MikeSoCal Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:09 pm

I have a few posts here and there and it's now down to painting as I purchased it sight unseen. It's a 1971 Westfalia and the original paint was Pastel White. I purchased it Orange and do not like Orange. I was leaning towards painting the lower half the VW Mouse Grey vs Pastel White so I need some advice, feedback, different options or someone to talk me into keeping it original. I'm not opposed to Pastel White but the body shop strongly feels White on White will not pop as something with more depth. I'm not cutting corners on the body and want it to look like glass. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I plan to keep it at least 5 more years and have some fun with it so selling is not on my mind at the moment. I don't want people to frown so let me know your thoughts. I need to pick a color by next week! Thanks!

Here is a video I created when I had AC installed. It was taken with an underwater camera so it doesn't sound like it does.

Charlie57 Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:44 pm

My 2 cents is go to Google Images and search "1971 Westfalia" your going to find tons of photo with tons of colors. See which colors keep attracting your attention.

MikeSoCal Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:58 pm

OK, I'm leaning towards Pastel White to keep it original. I wonder how a couple of coats of clear will look over it?

wcfvw69 Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:09 pm

MikeSoCal wrote: OK, I'm leaning towards Pastel White to keep it original. I wonder how a couple of coats of clear will look over it?

You indicated you only plan to keep it another 5 years. I ike the original Pastel white as it looks great. It will also provide the best resell value (if) when you go to sell it to have the correct color paint.

When these buses where new, they were not base coat/clear coat, they were single stage paint that was baked on. Thus, they were not as "shinny" as paint jobs with clear on them. Don't get me wrong, the single stage paint was beautiful and glossy, it just wasn't as shinny as clear coat.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/71colors.php

VW only offered the white and red in 71 for Westphalia campers.

ateneo Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:57 am

pastel white....You can never go wrong in bring it back to original.

Mike Fisher Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:01 pm

Put clear coat on whatever color you choose, so It doesn't end up a chipped up, chalky embarrassment after 5 years! :idea:

MikeSoCal Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:38 pm

I kept it original Pastel White and a added the 2nd stage Clear coat. It looks amazing and once I have it reassembled I will post some photos.