TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 67 square socal
1Rockhead Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:02 pm

New to vw. Plan on making this square a decent cruiser over the next couple years. I have no idea what I am doing so I hope I don't ask to many stupid questions:) just wanted to say hello.

ALLWAGONS Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:54 pm

Nice square! The FAQ section will be your best friend, but there's a lot of people who are always willing to help.

Martin
allwagons

Donnie strickland Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:15 pm

Nice!
Yes, read all you can, and then ask specific questions. And don't get in too big of a hurry.

Also, don't throw anything away!

1Rockhead Thu May 12, 2016 10:48 am

The more I dig, the more there is going to be to do. I am in no rush though. Got the front down 2 clicks. Think this is perfect for me.

dirtslinger Thu May 12, 2016 12:57 pm

That's the one that was up Phelan for sale a while ago right?

Looks pretty good.

1Rockhead Thu May 12, 2016 2:36 pm

I bought it in Hesperia.

Bobnotch Thu May 12, 2016 11:17 pm

1Rockhead wrote: The more I dig, the more there is going to be to do. I am in no rush though. Got the front down 2 clicks. Think this is perfect for me.

Just make sure you check and reset the toe in before you do too much driving. It changes (usually goes out) when lowering. BTDT.

1Rockhead Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:06 pm

About to pull the body off to get ready for pan resto. Was wondering if it is fine to pull the body off with a rusted our rocker? Do I need to fix that first for rigidity of the shell?

Was also wondering about painting under the rear qtr's. There is a bit of surface rust and a couple pin holes on the passenger air intake. What is the best way to address that as far as rust prevention. Can't really get in there to sand and paint.

MonT3 Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:46 am

Will you be pulling the doors off as well? Maybe brace it up inside the door frame.

As for the rear quarter, you could remove the outer panel to get in there and do what you need to. Drill the spot welds out, work in there and weld the panel back in. Look forward to reading up on your build.

Mike Fisher Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:08 am

I would leave the doors on it for an alignment check, while welding on the heater channel. You could use a wire wheel on the inner fender rust and then brush on silver and/or black www.MasterSeriesct.com on pans/inner fenders/chassis etc.

Bobnotch Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:33 am

Brace the door openings, but do so about 8 to 10 inches above the rocker, so you'll have room to work on them. I'd probably do like Monte suggested on the rear air boxes. It will be easier to work that area that way. You might want to look into getting a "spot blaster", and working a little at a time with it.

1Rockhead Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:28 am

Found a clean complete pan from a 71. Is it better to use the complete pan and have to change the title, or just weld the 71 pan sections to my 67 tunnel?

Bobnotch Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:36 am

1Rockhead wrote: Found a clean complete pan from a 71. Is it better to use the complete pan and have to change the title, or just weld the 71 pan sections to my 67 tunnel?

I've welded pan sections in both my old 71 Notch, and my 64 T-34, back when Russ owned it before I got it. If you have the body off, then doing pan halfs is easier, especially when using used pans (they fit better than the Gerson pans). What you do is cut the donors as close to the tunnel as you can, and cut your old rusty pans on the edge of the 1/2 inch lip. This allows you to set the new pans in place, and gives you something to weld to.
I hope this helps.

jeremydoc Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:50 pm

Hey man, what art of SoCal are you in? I also am building a 67.

OhHerrooo Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:26 am

jeremydoc wrote: Hey man, what art of SoCal are you in? I also am building a 67.

Hey, me too! Down in Costa Mesa.

1Rockhead Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:46 am

Hesperia.

Bobnotch Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:51 am

1Rockhead wrote: Found a clean complete pan from a 71. Is it better to use the complete pan and have to change the title, or just weld the 71 pan sections to my 67 tunnel?

I should have added above, that I wouldn't do a pan swap and re-title. I only say that as California might require you to do some sort of emissions testing for the re-title (wouldn't surprise me), and it makes the car no longer "numbers matching".