TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: "Squishy" suspension options
JiI Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:43 am

Hey gang, I could really use your input on this. I want to make a long travel manx buggy but I need the suspension to be very soft. (bad back) I'm thinking 4x1 front arms, 3x3 rear arms, 3" body lift, coilovers, 930 CVs, T1 tranny, Subie engine, suspension seats. I'll push the front beam forward 4" and it should keep the wheelbase at around 83-85". I want as much travel as I can get. I'm hoping 14-16".
This would be a street/ dirt/ sand car.
I'm just asking your input on what you've experienced that has worked, what has failed, what or who to avoid or who to talk to. Thanks!
Jeff

I Ride Sand Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:13 am

JiI wrote: 930 CVs, T1 tranny, Subie engine,

rethink that bit. the trans is going to eat itself, and your gearing will be way less than ideal once you throw some larger tires on there look for a bus box.

JiI Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:02 pm

I know a better tranny would last longer, I don't have any other trannys to measure off of.
Jeff

jsturtlebuggy Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:53 pm

I would think about going with a longer wheel base buggy. I have back issues too and built one that approx. 99in wheel base depending on where ins suspension travel you measure. It is based on a VW pan that has the front end pushed out and uses 2-1/4 x 3/4in wider front arms and 3x3 rear arms.
Front end wheel travel is 12in and in the rear it has approx. 14in of travel.
Front end uses FOX coil overs 10in travel shocks with spring rating of 175 over 250lb springs.
Rear uses 26mm diameter by 26- 9/16in long torsion bars.
It is a soft setup. There are other ways too do what I have done.
I did install a 3/4in Speedway Engineering sway bar on the front as it would heel over at faster speeds.
It is very comfortable to drive and has made many long distance trips including a 7,000 mile plus trip across the country and back.
I started out with a 091 type II trans and now have a 094 Vanagon 5speed trans in it now. It did require some modification to torsion housing to make it fit. It is a off road racing proven transaxle and Weddle bases it HV series transaxle on them. Here a picture of from left to right of an 091, 091/1 and a 094 transaxles.

SamT Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:44 am

You will have to loose the torsion bars.
Up front use fox 2.0 air shocks. And in the rear use 2.0 coil overs, 2.5 airs would work too so you don't need springs.

You will need a 20cf nitrogen bottle and regulator. A tuning oil kit and some advice on valving. Takes less than 10 minutes to revalve a shock and you can tune them to your liking.

Simply get the proper valving for the corner weight. Then air them up until your about 25-30% droop loaded. (Probably 30-35% for your back) then add tune oil until you no longer bottom out doing the roughest stuff you plan to do.
(The tune oil increases the progressiveness of "spring" rate, makes the air pressure increase faster) I like to see 1" of shock stroke that isn't wiped clean after a wild ride with a couple good jumps.

retterath Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:50 am

A set of good suspension seats will go a long way toward staying comfortable.

JiI Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:04 pm

Getting rid of the torsion bars isn't a problem. Have a set of Corbeau suspension seats. Don't want to go with a longer wheelbase than 85".
Appreciate all the input. I don't know much about shocks/ coilovers.
Jeff

jsturtlebuggy Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:22 pm

I have PRP seats in mine. Love them very comfortable on long drives.
To find out what you need for spring rates you really need to scale the car to see what it weighs.
Do you know someone that races that has scales for setting up their car?
I seen people use bathroom scales for checking front end weight, as for the rear, there may be a way to do it that I don't know of.

JiI Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:56 am

Yeah, a friend of mine has scales for his Mustang.