TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: type 3 questions
green giant Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:41 am

just saw a 71 type 3 square back on craigslist for $300. Idk much about these. Its missing the motor and tranny. My main question is will a bug transaxle work in it???

Bobnotch Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:12 pm

green giant wrote: just saw a 71 type 3 square back on craigslist for $300. Idk much about these. Its missing the motor and tranny. My main question is will a bug transaxle work in it???

Short answer; Yes. Unless it's an AT car.

Long answer, you'll need the type 3 only hockey stick to make it work. You can also use bug IRS axles and CV joints.
As for the engine, you'll need a t-3 engine,or a converted bug engine (with t-3 cooling tins and shroud). A type 1 engine in the upright configuration won't fit under the load floor.

Spezialist Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:29 pm

Bobnotch wrote: green giant wrote: just saw a 71 type 3 square back on craigslist for $300. Idk much about these. Its missing the motor and tranny. My main question is will a bug transaxle work in it???

Long answer, you'll need the type 3 only hockey stick to make it work. You can also use bug IRS axles and CV joints.
As for the engine, you'll need a t-3 engine,or a converted bug engine (with t-3 cooling tins and shroud). A type 1 engine in the upright configuration won't fit under the load floor.

Couldn't he just drill the hockey stick for the set screw placement?

Bobnotch Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:07 pm

Spezialist wrote: Bobnotch wrote: green giant wrote: just saw a 71 type 3 square back on craigslist for $300. Idk much about these. Its missing the motor and tranny. My main question is will a bug transaxle work in it???

He could, but getting the divot in the right place isn't as easy as it sounds. And buying a hockey stick from CIP won't help, as the bottom divot on those sticks is in the wrong place.

Erik G Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:09 pm

Spezialist wrote: Bobnotch wrote: green giant wrote: just saw a 71 type 3 square back on craigslist for $300. Idk much about these. Its missing the motor and tranny. My main question is will a bug transaxle work in it???

yes -BUT it's a bitch as the hocky stick is hardened AND if you don't have one to go by, how you gonna know where to put it? It's offset, not straight up or down like a bus/beetle. So you'd probably end up grinding when shifting all the time

(anyone know why in the heck they did that?)

Spezialist Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:18 pm

Probably the same reason they designed the subframe of the type 3 come out.
They knew in the future, hundreds of trike builders would need a platform to build unsafe trikes worldwide. ;)

Bobnotch Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:28 pm

Erik G wrote: Spezialist wrote: Bobnotch wrote: green giant wrote: just saw a 71 type 3 square back on craigslist for $300. Idk much about these. Its missing the motor and tranny. My main question is will a bug transaxle work in it???

yes -BUT it's a bitch as the hocky stick is hardened AND if you don't have one to go by, how you gonna know where to put it? It's offset, not straight up or down like a bus/beetle. So you'd probably end up grinding when shifting all the time

Clearance to the tunnel top would be SWAG. But then they probably could have cut an access hole in the top of the tunnel too (like on a bug). :roll:

Spezialist Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:39 pm

Bobnotch wrote: Erik G wrote: Spezialist wrote: Bobnotch wrote: green giant wrote: just saw a 71 type 3 square back on craigslist for $300. Idk much about these. Its missing the motor and tranny. My main question is will a bug transaxle work in it???

Clearance to the tunnel top would be SWAG. But then they probably could have cut an access hole in the top of the tunnel too (like on a bug). :roll:

Engineering another hole into the pan would weaken the design., I'll stick with my observation that it's the way it had to be done because of the removable subframe, iirc the forward mounting for that subframe is right behind the access hole for the hockey stick, putting an access hole on top like a bug would weaken that area.

sctbrd Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:53 pm

get a type 3 motor:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1899987

green giant Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:28 pm

How hard are type 3 engines and transaxles to find and what do they usually go for???.....idk much about type 3 stuff and I don't have a lot t spend which is why I was looking into a type 1 power train but if I can get a type 3 setup for reasonable it seems t be the easier route.looking for as much info as I can before I decide t buy it or not so I don't get it an realize I'm in too deep

sctbrd Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:46 pm

Depends where you live and who is selling and what condition.
Search theSamba classifieds (narrow search to Parts Type 3) for type 3 engines to get an idea.
See if you can contact someone from the forums or the ads.
People like Jeff in Oregon are very helpful, may have a full setup available: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=jeffgagnon

sctbrd Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:24 pm

Joel in Washington also has a lot of T3 stuff: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1371894

green giant Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:28 am

thanks for all the input guys....i've decided to put the money into another project instead