TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Limit strap locations
Alex Schelling Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:14 am

Where does everyone without a bunch of tubing and cagework run their limit straps? Thinking about just useing the shock mounts but id be loseing a couple inches of travel just to compensate for strap stretch.

SamT Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:40 pm

They sell them in infinite sizes. You may can use one of the trailing arm bolts to that body bolt above it with some sort of tab. I have even seen chains run to limit travel.

Alex Schelling Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:33 am

Brilliant i think thatll work and ill just use chain so i dont have to worry about stretch

dustymojave Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:14 pm

Listening to the clanking chain will get to be a real drag real quick. Bajas make lots of noise inside anyway. Honestly, I don't have straps on mine. Between the shocks controlling rebound and the factory lower spring plate stop, you have enough. I drive my car offroad like a race car. I never hear it clunk on droop.

Alex Schelling Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:40 am

Yeah the noise might be an issue to consider. But i have torsion eliminators so no spring plate stop here.

dustymojave Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:27 pm

Alex Schelling wrote: Yeah the noise might be an issue to consider. But i have torsion eliminators so no spring plate stop here.

I got that part about the torsion eliminators meaning that you have no lower spring plate stops. The point I was trying to make was that the shocks should do most of the job of slowing the motion of the arm so that straps or chains are really not needed. As I said, I don't hear mine clunk against the stops that my car has, so yours should be OK without stops if the shocks are dialed in.

enjoyther1de Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:36 pm

You can mount the straps anywhere you reasonably want. If you did the fab work on the cage and shock mounts, you surly can google "limit strap mounting baja bug" and find a few examples to work from. It's not rocket surgery, and there is no such thing as overkill in the desert, now get after it.

enjoyther1de Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:43 pm

I know this I a silly question, but your shocks are not charged are they? You should have them at zero p.s.i. To be able to cycle the suspension and set bump and droop.

dustymojave Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:55 pm

He has air shocks. The spring function is provided by gas pressure inside the shocks. To de-gas them and reset them, he would need a nitrogen cylinder with a regulator and the schrader valve adapter. That costs a few hundred dollars and most don't have it.

enjoyther1de Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:12 am

It costs a lot less than 200 to have them filled. A nitrogen tank is a smart investment when your cars only source of "spring" is the shock.

ORANGECRUSHer Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:52 am

Best would prolly be going off stock shock mount hole down to a bolt on the swing plate/eliminator. If you go from eye to eye like I tend to do on my rail that strap will rub itself in half on that hole in the body.