TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Baja bug in europe help !!!
nikos mavroutsikos Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:58 pm

Hey everyone I will go strait in because I have no much time
I was gona build a a formula vee pikes peak thinky but I am now going to build a baja bug because where is the fun when u are not driving with friends ?
so I live in Greece and I cant find a baja so I am gona customize a beetle that I can find around 400 euros without engine and paper law stuff because its gona be a fun car for dirt roads that don't count as public streets on the area
The question is I need specific parts to make it or I can build the roll cage and pipe chasis on the beetle and use a biger suspension ? I know that its almost possible to fit all the engines to a beetle and I ve fiound a volvo b230E engine at 300 euros and I already have some Volvo parts but .. Its possible to build it like this ? Plus I haven't found baja parts or kits in Europe only in America and I think it will cost to much to send them all here

Dirty761 Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:57 am

The must b kits in France/Germany/Belgium as there off road VW clubs there. You can always just cut the wings for now.

Personally Id stick with the vw motor till you get it running. Much simpler to work on.

Try http://bajaclub.co.uk/ for European info and parts.

nikos mavroutsikos Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:12 am

Dirty761 wrote: The must b kits in France/Germany/Belgium as there off road VW clubs there. You can always just cut the wings for now.

Personally Id stick with the vw motor till you get it running. Much simpler to work on.

Try http://bajaclub.co.uk/ for European info and parts.
thanks for the help :D
The vw engines are ery exensive here with the money that I can save from buying another engine I can restore the car and build the roll bar etc etc

CHenige Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:16 am

Why are they expensive? Were they all scrapped for metal instead of sitting in salvage yards or back yards like they are here?

nikos mavroutsikos Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:03 am

CHenige wrote: Why are they expensive? Were they all scrapped for metal instead of sitting in salvage yards or back yards like they are here?
they are very collectible for restoration projects beetles and vans
u can find a new restored beetle for 900 euros without engine and one engine that probably doesn't work some times costs 1500 so its beeter for me to just use other engine that its cheap powerfull and easy to find replacements

nikos mavroutsikos Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:10 am

I want to sell spare parts of my Volvo Buy a bug and slowly customize the power and the chasis A redblock Volvo engine can go up to 700 hp (no need to reach that amount og power 300 would be just fine)
is there enyone who knows stuf about the drivetrain gearboc of the beatle Or whitch drivetrain should I use ?
Engine potition back or on th middle of the car

dirtkeeper Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:09 pm

nikos mavroutsikos wrote: I want to sell spare parts of my Volvo Buy a bug and slowly customize the power and the chasis A redblock Volvo engine can go up to 700 hp (no need to reach that amount og power 300 would be just fine)
is there enyone who knows stuf about the drivetrain gearboc of the beatle Or whitch drivetrain should I use ?

Two ways to do it

Get a custom engine to trans mount and attach your engine off the rear . Look here er http://www.kennedyenginc.com/Pages/default.aspx Over 150 horse and you will need to beef up the tranny and or use a bus transmission.

Anything else will be a full custom deal you make up as you go. There Is a badass mid engine Cadillac build on this site. the ones that I have seen that use a non vw drivetrain had a beetle body put on top of the frame of donor drivetrain car.

nikos mavroutsikos Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:55 am

dirtkeeper wrote: nikos mavroutsikos wrote: I want to sell spare parts of my Volvo Buy a bug and slowly customize the power and the chasis A redblock Volvo engine can go up to 700 hp (no need to reach that amount og power 300 would be just fine)

Two ways to do it

Get a custom engine to trans mount and attach your engine off the rear . Look here er http://www.kennedyenginc.com/Pages/default.aspx Over 150 horse and you will need to beef up the tranny and or use a bus transmission.

Anything else will be a full custom deal you make up as you go. There Is a badass mid engine Cadillac build on this site. the ones that I have seen that use a non vw drivetrain had a beetle body put on top of the frame of donor drivetrain car.
oh I didn't know the vw bus drivetrain was diferent I always thought that they used the same drivetrain What power can they handle ? the t2 bus it was very popular here u can find them everywhere so I can find some parts easy