TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: A '67 Squareback for Mrs. Silvertonguedevil
silvertonguedevil Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:37 pm

My dad is restoring a '52 Chevy Pickup. He knows a car guy local to him that works on lock cylinders, rekeys, ignition switches, etc. This last fall, he needed to have keys made for his pickup and went out to see him. The guy has a large collection of old cars sprinkled about in the field out behind his house. Apparently, they got to bs'ing and somehow, my affection for old Volkswagens came up. The guy mentions he's got a bunch of VW stuff laying around that he has no use for. He said that there's a Karmann Ghia, a Squareback and a large handful of misc VW parts. He's mainly a Model T guy and he has no interest in anything Volkswagen. Apparently the brother of the guy that lived there before him was the VW guy. Anyways, I decided to help the guy rid himself of his VW infestation. :lol: The Karmann Ghia ended up being a very rough parts car but the Squareback looked do-able. I've always wanted one and I've also been loosely looking for a project for my wife. Win Win!

With that being said, it is her car and I told her that we can build it to her specifications. If she wants to paint it pink and slap a Barbie logo on the door, whether I approve or not, I'd comply. However, lucky for me, she wants to go black and she wants it low. 8) The timing is perfect as my bug is about wrapped up so we're pretty much just going to jump in.

This is the car as found...

silvertonguedevil Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:43 pm

So we just went to visit my folks and grab the car about two weeks ago. Here it is back home in the driveway. It's going to require a thorough douching before it even sees the inside of my garage.

silvertonguedevil Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:49 pm

This was my project the other day. I spent the entire day, filled a 64-gallon garbage can and my 12 gallon shop vac! But, you could eat off of the gas tank now! :lol:

Before:

After:

ibldrc Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:20 am

Gotta love the shag carpet!
Great to see another one saved, enjoy!

69 Notchback Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:00 am

Nice find, have fun with the build.

silvertonguedevil Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:27 am

Thank you!

Mike Fisher Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:06 pm

It looks pretty good except for the engine compartment. WTB ads will fill in the blanks! 8)

silvertonguedevil Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:02 am

No doubt! I've already been busy shopping. I've got a hood, both front fenders, the chrome bar for the hood, and hood hinges all coming.

one4house Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:14 pm

Wa Was the passenger side facing north? I get the feeling that the passenger side was facing north.

Can't wait to see where you go with this one.

EDIT: I'm learning to type tonight.

silvertonguedevil Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:23 pm

Ya know...I don't know the answer to that. But I'd assume that's the case. 8)

MonT3 Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:24 pm

Congrats on a nice find. I have to agree with the shag carpet action :lol: I'm sure back then when it was installed it was all good and the rage :twisted:

What are your plans? Look forward to seeing this one come back to life.

silvertonguedevil Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:58 pm

MonT3 wrote: Congrats on a nice find. I have to agree with the shag carpet action :lol: I'm sure back then when it was installed it was all good and the rage :twisted:

What are your plans? Look forward to seeing this one come back to life.
Plans are a full resto. The wife wants it black and low. :twisted:

silvertonguedevil Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:02 pm

So I got the car cleaned up enough that it's at least allowed in the garage now. It's still a stinking mess but it's not full of dead mouse carcasses anymore!

silvertonguedevil Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:04 pm

I was expecting somewhat of a nightmare when I went through the glovebox. I was actually pleasantly surprised that it wasn't too bad. I also found the license plates underneath the shag carpet in the back but above a SECOND layer of shag carpet. So weird. Anyways, the last time the car was registered was 1981!

stonecoldcars Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:22 pm

The patina on that thing is amazing!!

Tram Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:51 pm

stonecoldcars wrote: The patina on that thing is amazing!!

It needs a parts car!

:D