TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Tow bar for 66'
scottydub Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:31 pm

I'm looking at a tow bar that was supposedly from a bug, and i was going to get it lengthened to work on a 66' van, but the openings for the beam are too narrow. It's a little more than 2' and looks like it needs to go about 4 1/2.

I have a really good, cheap welder and could get this built in a few days. Which towbar do i need to get for modification? Thanks

WM971252 Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:51 pm

You will need to do a lot more than lengthen what you have to make it work and then you still have a mess that may or may not work. I bought one of the bus tow bars that were made back 20 years ago or so and will only use it in my yard.

Save yourself the time and hassles and buy this or another one of his tow bars
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=280516

I do not have one (got a trailer) but read the reviews and I have compared the one I have to one of his and been pleased.

crukab Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:22 pm

X2 on Jeremy's tow bar, well worth the $$. I have a older Bug tow bar, and a welder, I could have done the chop & fit work, but the $300 shipped was a better deal for me.

pyrOman Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:10 am

X3! ^^^ Your time and effort is worth more than just getting one that is made for the job already! Better yet, get the one that can be taken apart in half as it will fit in the trunk of a car! 8)

scottydub Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:11 pm

I'm wondering if the bar rests inside or outside the zirk fittings on the beam?

crukab Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:25 pm

scottydub wrote: I'm wondering if the bar rests inside or outside the zirk fittings on the beam?

You remove the pass side nipper/fitting on the back side of the bar, really e-z.

Riff Raff Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:22 pm

I have a commercialair towbar that is very similar to jeremy rockjock's
On both my buses, I moved the grease nipples to the bottom of the torsion housing and welded up the original holes. Took less than an hour to do and there are no worries about sheared grease nipples when towing.

scottydub Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:57 pm

Yeah, that is the easy think to do. Thanks

scottydub Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:40 am

I'm still waiting to hear back from Jeremy, but in the meanwhile i keep looking under the bus and wondering. It looks like you have to keep the angle or height of your hitch just right, or you can easily catch the steering box on a turn with a little dip in it.

I can still remember looking out the rear window of our family station wagon, when I was 4yo, and watching my dad's dune buggy "ghost steering" behind us on the way to Pismo Beach.

scottydub Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:09 pm

I got a tow bar, but it hits the sway bar when i try to lift it high enough to hook up to the hitch. Did i get the wrong one? DO i need to take the sway bar of the bus? Can someone measure the tabs on theirs? It looks like the tabs that hold the beam are too short. I ordered it from Jeremy, but maybe he sent me the wrong type. The tabs on mine are 3 1/4" tall.