TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Oil change tomorrow...dumb question
MConstable Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:53 pm

Having an OCD moment, watching the Bug Me video, after the oil change, he uses no gaskets or washers on the sump plate studs, yet everyone sells the gaskets and washers...yes or no?
Also, what should I use on the drain plug?
Thanks!

57 Rag Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:02 pm

the gasket and washers usually come as a kit, use it. As for the drain plug a copper washer.

bluebus86 Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:41 pm

use of gaskets and washers is important, dont skimp on them.

Rome Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:20 am

Agree- use the gaskets and the copper washers.

I've not watched the video, but some more hints- when you have the sump drain plate on and all 6 nuts back on the studs hand-tight, start tightening them a bit at a time and go around in a diagonal tightening pattern. And be very careful with the final torque- it's only 5 lb ft. Really easy to overtighten by hand.

If you have some thin surgical gloves, wear them. I just did an oil change last night on my Ghia, and despite a good scrubbing with hand cleaner and brush, the fingers can tell I was doing dirty work. Not optimal for an office environment today.

thechief86 Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:23 am

^someone's vagina is starting to stink....

Lol just messing with you. I wish I could get the dirt from under my fingernails from time to time.
I use the gaskets with Indian Head shellac or similar, with copper washers, and the fel-pro kit from the McParts stores came with another copper washer for the drain plug.
Unfortunately now my pushrod tube seals are leaking.

Cusser Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:38 am

Rome wrote: Agree- when you have the sump drain plate on and all 6 nuts back on the studs hand-tight, start tightening them a bit at a time and go around in a diagonal tightening pattern. And be very careful with the final torque- it's only 5 lb ft. Really easy to overtighten by hand.

Important.

And for leaky pushrod tube(s): if not significant, don't do wore than keep an eye on them. If only one or two, can buy the spring loaded tubes and replace the bad ones - but buy good ones !

Rome Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:23 am

Good one, chief! Wait until he changes his trans oil, what that smells like. :oops:

MConstable Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:49 am

Rome wrote: Good one, chief! Wait until he changes his trans oil, what that smells like. :oops:

Good one...there is no stink like old gear oil, that is some funky shit.

thechief86 Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:55 am

Lol my wife wouldn't even ride in a couple of cars I had because I spilled some gear oil.and couldn't get the smell out.
The vagina joke was more aimed at the clean hands complaint. We kinda rib each other here in the maintenance dept. where I work, since we get pretty filthy working on machines sometimes.