TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Opinions on clutch for high torque engine
mauricemonge Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:09 pm

Hey guys, I'm planning out a build and I'm looking at which clutch to use.

The tranny is from a bus with a very strong differential, build in mind for drag racing. I will be running 930 cv joints, and 225 series dot track tires for the street. I may buy a set of slicks for the strip.

The engine I'm planning to get puts out around 275hp and 260 ft lbs (at 3k). I may in the future port and polish some items, which should be closer to 300hp and an earlier turbo spool.

The car will weigh a little under 2k with me in it, but may be closer to 1900 when I'm finished.

With drag racing in mind, but lots of street use, what clutch would you guys recommend? I'm debating between a kennedy stage 2 clutch with a 6 puck, or a stage 3 with a full disc.

Thanks
Maurice

jfats808 Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:19 pm

I asked Lummus what could handle between 250-260 for the race engine I intend to build ( one day). He told me his BM disc and a stage 1. So that's what I bought. A good resource besides the fellow racers here might be Lummus, Jack, Pat, or the Tims.

mcmscott Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:50 pm

mauricemonge wrote: Hey guys, I'm planning out a build and I'm looking at which clutch to use.

The tranny is from a bus with a very strong differential, build in mind for drag racing. I will be running 930 cv joints, and 225 series dot track tires for the street. I may buy a set of slicks for the strip.

The engine I'm planning to get puts out around 275hp and 260 ft lbs (at 3k). I may in the future port and polish some items, which should be closer to 300hp and an earlier turbo spool.

The car will weigh a little under 2k with me in it, but may be closer to 1900 when I'm finished.

With drag racing in mind, but lots of street use, what clutch would you guys recommend? I'm debating between a kennedy stage 2 clutch with a 6 puck, or a stage 3 with a full disc.

Thanks
Maurice

You are inncorect, you are not putting down 300 hp, if you were you would not be here asking stupid questions

mcmscott Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:51 pm

jfats808 wrote: I asked Lummus what could handle between 250-260 for the race engine I intend to build ( one day). He told me his BM disc and a stage 1. So that's what I bought. A good resource besides the fellow racers here might be Lummus, Jack, Pat, or the Tims.

Other than holding strength, the black magic disk is the worst thing you could ever use

jfats808 Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:57 pm

Alright Scott. I'll bite. What is the proper set up to run?

mcmscott Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:05 pm

jfats808 wrote: Alright Scott. I'll bite. What is the proper set up to run?
There is no "proper" setup, every car is different, but remember the synchro rings have to control the momentem of the clutch disk, therefore a heavy disk, like the b/m, will always "crash" the synchro rings. The "copperhead" is another fine example of a disk that will ruin synchro's. The lighter the disk is the better, remember mass in motion tends to stay in motion

jfats808 Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:25 pm

Ok so basically run a set up and see if it holds bit anything but a copperhead or bm? I run a copperhead in my daily(if it's not raining) about 2.5 years now. I'm assuming my synchros are going to fail. I guess I should be asking the right question. What are u running in your turbo car?

mauricemonge Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:18 pm

Oh god another pissing contest, I just wanted some opinions :roll:

Just so I don't get flamed more.
I am swapping a version 5 JDM subaru engine from a wrx (the non forged twin of the sti motor). The engine is claimed to put out 276hp and 260lbs of torque.

My current motor is a 2.5 dohc from an outback. I'm running a grimmspeed lightened pulley and a fairly free flowing exhaust, but the motor is pretty much stock. I am running a stage 1 kennedy with a full disc and it seems to hold the 162 ft lbs quite well.

I have done lots of reading on the subject, and thought I had my mind made up until talking with a buddy of mine who had no luck with a stage 1. He is running 275hp with a subaru turbo 2.2 in his fiberglass kit car and had to go with a stage 3 to not slip.

Because of his experience, and what I'd like to do, I am shying away from a stage 1 pressure plate. Subaru motors have a fairly flat torque curve and a launch would probably be coming from where it makes good power. which brings me to the forum to ask for advise.

mcmscot, I want some advise for a build I'm doing. I have done lots of reading, but could not find a lot of info on the 6 puck disc. I like to know as much as I can before I dive into buying parts or doing a project. If you look through my limited posts on this forum, you will see I did an 18 page type up with info for subaru engine into a bug. I also made a couple videos on converting a wiring harness and finishing up an engine removal.
This project will be the next part of my type up. So no, I am not currently pushing a nearly 300hp engine. I am going to buy a nearly 300hp engine and put it in my car.

So please, if you can't help me with my project, shut the fuck up.

mauricemonge Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:21 pm

jfats808 wrote: I asked Lummus what could handle between 250-260 for the race engine I intend to build ( one day). He told me his BM disc and a stage 1. So that's what I bought. A good resource besides the fellow racers here might be Lummus, Jack, Pat, or the Tims.

Thanks man, I'll have to hit them up if the forum doesn't work out....
However, I have read about the BM discs cracking, which may be an issue since I hopefully won't be pulling out the motor every month.