TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Hehr jalousie windows Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Aeron Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:11 am

Would the Hehr jalousie window L2187 with all the fittings fit directly on to the window frame of a Split microbus? Apparently there is another Hehr jalousie window with the serial number L2182 that is slightly different sizing. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Or I could say which would be simpler,
Are the Windows on all 11 window split the same as the SO42 window split?

edgood1 Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:43 am

Hehr made a lot of different windows for a lot of campers in the 60's. The model number thats stamped on the frame is indicative of the dimensions of the window.

Most of the Hehr camper windows of that era were square and I think the L2187 was a special factory order that had the rounded corners to fit the vw bus window frame. I doubt any other model would fit the bus without modification but I could be wrong.

fotoroadie Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:01 am

Here's a little sketch I just did for one of my customers. Hehr Jalousie L 2187.

fotoroadie Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:04 am

To clarify - that sketch is the measurement of the Spacer that goes into the window cavity that the window then attaches to.
Bobby

srfndoc Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:52 am

The SO42 was made from a standard Kombi so all the windows are the same size as any other bus.

BarryL Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:29 am

Aeron wrote: Would ...all the fittings fit directly on to the window frame of a Split microbus?
There will be a vertical hinge most likely on the microbus that should be removed. I don't know first hand but I think I read on here that you can leave the hinge and get away with it.

Craig Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:18 am

Here is one to stay away from; the fixed top pane is three inches tall.

Erik G Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:47 am

BarryL wrote: Aeron wrote: Would ...all the fittings fit directly on to the window frame of a Split microbus?
There will be a vertical hinge most likely on the microbus that should be removed. I don't know first hand but I think I read on here that you can leave the hinge and get away with it.

Correct. I removed the windows on my '66 Sundial, all 5 hinges were present. I switched to pop-outs. 5 because the 6th (closet window) was already a pop out like a westy

twistedbug Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:56 am

Craig wrote: Here is one to stay away from; the fixed top pane is three inches tall.

What is wrong with using these windows on a bus

BarryL Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:16 am

twistedbug wrote: What is wrong with using these windows on a bus
Nothing would be wrong except I'm pretty sure those are for a panel bus that was cut open for those. The original poster asked about a microbus that has the window openings already finished off so those won't fit as they are too long, maybe too high, and the corners clash.

twistedbug Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:31 pm

what about these big money windows
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1867174

BarryL Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:53 pm

That person has done a lot of work on those. They are ready to install better than factory says something.

twistedbug Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:58 pm

yes he has made them look super nice, but are they same type the previous person was saying to avoid.

Craig Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:26 am

twistedbug wrote: yes he has made them look super nice, but are they same type the previous person was saying to avoid?

Those look right; I don't see a crank in the pictures. The crank in my pic is different from SO 42 Hehr window crank. The pane holders fit one that I repaired. Does the set include the inside faux wood trim pieces for the interior?

cru62 Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:50 am

The real question is do they include the spacer. They are about as hard to find as unbubbled safety glass.

FWIW, those look like they are for a window bus but installed in a panel. Real panel bus windows have a curved outside profile to match the curve of the bus. Although a lot of buses got the ones for flat panels. When they screwed them down the surrounding sheet metal just warped to fit.

I think the tipoff is the round corners. They didn't bother with that detail for panel Windows.

easy e Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:03 am

twistedbug wrote: yes he has made them look super nice... They're cleaned up & probably operate well. They aren't anodized = will be a continual polishing exercise (where you can't get everywhere). They'd be absolute tits... if he sent them out for anodizing prior to re-assembly.

fotoroadie Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:26 am

I restore these windows, here's what I think I know. The most common Hehr windows for camper conversion are the Hehr L 2187's that are for windowed buses. See attached pics and you will see that the total unit would include the window, the spacer, the screen & the interior trim. To get a start you would need at least the window and the spacer. The screen and interior trim could be added later. I've seen windows advertised for sale without the spacer and yes that would be useless. The spacer with the rubber seal attaches from the inside (8 screws) into the window cavity then the window attaches to the spacer. The window for panel van conversion Hehr C 16199 1002 has a curved side profile that hugs the shape of the body and requires no spacer. An opening is cut into the body and then caulked and screwed in place. The panel type are slightly larger than the window type and do not share screens or interior trim, so be careful to ask for measurements before purchasing. The easiest way to quickly recognize which is which is that the windowed version has round corners and the panel type has square corners. Could there be other versions that will work ?? I only have experience in these two types.
Bobby

Waveycrazey Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:24 am

I'm looking for missing interior window trim. It's pressed metal, with a printed wood effect finish. Any idea where I could find one?

I have a 66 Sundial based on a Kombi, so rounded Hehr jalousies.

swharris Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:20 pm

Late to this topic, but a few questions, mostly for Bobby.

I've got about 10 complete sets I've collected over the years hoping to make at least 5 I'll need for my '65 SO-42 poptop. I think they are all for kombi windows, but I'll have to take a look again. I don't remember seeing any square corner/curved examples.

I do though, have 4 interior trim surrounds that are much deeper than all the others. I'd say they are at least 2" deep along the side that slips inside the inset and does not show. The other examples(which I know for sure came from the kombi versions as I removed them from the SO42 bus) are only about 1" deep in the same part.

Question 1:
Would these wider trim pieces be for the elusive "panel bus" versions??

Question 2:
Any write ups on how to restore(re paint/faux paint) the interior surrounds?

Question 3:
Might there be a good sole out there that can post links for glass and seals, round dot felt pads the glass sits on, washers or anything else needed to rebuild these things??

Also, maybe some tips for type of media to blast the soft aluminum frames or
coatings/processes that have given good long lasting results.

Thanks!

Interior surrounds: The larger insets on 4 of the trims can be seen here at the bottom of the stack just above the spacers. The trims at the top of the stack are known trims for "kombi" windows and insets are about 1/2 as deep.

FLICKR album link below
https://flic.kr/s/aHskRmBBaY

easy e Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:38 am

For the wood-grained surrounds... I have no advice. Haven't dug into it yet for my '65.

I have sent some things to get refinished though. This company does nice work on bright dip anodizing & I plan on sending them my windows for stripping, polishing & bright anodizing. Yes, the old anodizing has to be chemically stripped before re-anodizing. I want a nice lustrous finish.... will do the same for my aluminum bits that may need some long-lasting love (rack pieces, coat hooks, etc.)
www.kingoftrim.com

Polishing aluminum (with screw heads to deal with + impossible to reach nooks & crannies) into perpetuity... is for the birds. Waxing now & then... I can live with.