TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Looking for some advice -69 FI Auto
72vert Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:48 am

Hey guys looking for some advice, I have a 69 Fasty FI auto, all new fuel lines, vacuum lines, fuel pump(Airtex). Car runs good and then its like I have a drop in fuel, doesnt want to stay running, no power, then it comes back. Volt meter on and I drove it around until it happened but voltage stays good at approx 14. Does anyone have any ideas on what else I can check? Is there anyone still rebuilding original fuel pumps as well? Thanks

KTPhil Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:52 pm

You can set aside a weekend and check out the FI sticky!

Jim Adney rebuilds original pumps.

Best advice: Resist the urge to throw parts at a FI problem. In fact, most FI problems are not FI (they are ignition, wiring, or vacuum leaks). Do a tune-up and examine ignition parts and settings. Make sure your ignition is consistent and advancing properly. Eliminate ALL vacuum leaks (maybe just replace all engine bay hoses).

Then come back and report what you did or didn't found, and we can walk through more troubleshooting.

Intermittents are usually electrical, so be suspicious of every connector you come across.

raygreenwood Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:48 pm

KTPhil wrote: You can set aside a weekend and check out the FI sticky!

Jim Adney rebuilds original pumps.

Best advice: Resist the urge to throw parts at a FI problem. In fact, most FI problems are not FI (they are ignition, wiring, or vacuum leaks). Do a tune-up and examine ignition parts and settings. Make sure your ignition is consistent and advancing properly. Eliminate ALL vacuum leaks (maybe just replace all engine bay hoses).

Then come back and report what you did or didn't found, and we can walk through more troubleshooting.

Intermittents are usually electrical, so be suspicious of every connector you come across.

As noted. ....ignition, wiring and vacuum leaks are the largest percentage or issues.
Right behind that....is fuel pressure.
Get a gauge. This could be as simple as crud sloshing around in the fuel tank. Ray