TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Fender Help
kirk1015 Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:51 pm

My passenger rear fender seems to be a little worn out.
When I was swapping the tail lights I noticed I could see day light
around where the screws go in. And it felt really weak when putting the screws back in.
Also its kind of hard to tell in the photo but the car has the apron from a 75 on.
The one with the bump for later muffler(catalytic converter?)
Can anyone tell me if the fenders I have on now are correct or from a 75 and up.
I was just going to order new fenders but if the apron is wrong also I might get the correct apron for it.
I have other photos in my gallery of the profile if that would help. These were taken last year when I bought the car.

P.S. the cigar looking thing or poop as my 8 year old niece calls it hanging from the tail pipe has been rectified.

beetlenut Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:20 pm

What year is your car? Is it fuel injected or carbed? The rear fenders for 74 and 75-79 are pretty close in appearance. I believe the 75-79 rear fenders accommodate that FI bulge in the apron. You can look at these rear fenders, but can't really tell much http://www.airheadparts.com/vintage-vw-parts/rear-fender. The tail pipe cutouts and the bulge don't seem to go together! Should be one or the other I thought? Is the apron modified? Could it be that the PO changed from FI to carb, and then modified the apron to run the two tail pipe muffler?