TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1970 Euro Fastback 1600 TL rescue and revival
19super73 Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:09 am

And this time it wasn't very far from home. I don't know much about the car's history except that it's been floating around the local area for about a decade. I love fastbacks and they are very hard to find where I live, especially in a condition that is worth saving. I love the colour and the add ons. I am bringing it home this month to clean it up and figure out what it needs the most. The engine is in pieces, but all of the pieces seem to be present except the block. Dual carb. Thankfully the deal comes with a parts Squareback.

Tram Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:51 am

Ah, shit, there goes the neighbourhood. :roll:

Hey, dude... the fender doesn't match. :lol:

19super73 Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:03 am

Tram wrote: Ah, shit, there goes the neighbourhood. :roll:

Hey, dude... the fender doesn't match. :lol:

Damn... :( I'd better sell it then.

Air-Cooled Head Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:22 pm

19super73 wrote: Thankfully the deal comes with a parts Squareback.

Nice find. Hopefully you'll get the green Square in the background. Fix 'em both up, then f*%k with people's mind.

Them: This isn't the car you were driving yesterday.
You: Yes, it is.
Them: Yesterday it was a station wagon.
You: Oh, that. Yeah, that's called a "Square" back. I just took that part off and put the "Fast" back on. :lol:

19super73 Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:56 pm

Air-Cooled Head wrote: 19super73 wrote: Thankfully the deal comes with a parts Squareback.

Nice find. Hopefully you'll get the green Square in the background. Fix 'em both up, then f*%k with people's mind.

Them: This isn't the car you were driving yesterday.
You: Yes, it is.
Them: Yesterday it was a station wagon.
You: Oh, that. Yeah, that's called a "Square" back. I just took that part off and put the "Fast" back on. :lol:

:lol: :lol: In a perfect world I would love for that to happen. The red Square in the back is my parts car, and I am thinking of talking to the owner about the green Square.

Mike Fisher Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:56 pm

The late model fasty is the fast looking VW lowered a little! 8)

Typ3nut Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:32 pm

Good Find ! ... Hope you see the restoration through.
1970 & 1971 Green Type 3's were odd, the Fastback was Deep-Sea Green (L66B) where the Squareback was Elm Green (L60D).

19super73 Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:23 pm

Some more pictures as I was loading it the other day. I still have to go back to get the squareback parts car. It has pretty solid rockers and nose which will come in handy for the Fastback.

And the parts Square that will be coming in handy.

Dfasty Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:20 pm

looks like the red square is a 73

Volktales Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:01 pm

Nice find. It will be good to see it all fixed up again!

19super73 Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:02 pm

Dfasty wrote: looks like the red square is a 73

Judging just on the seats alone, I believe you're correct.

19super73 Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:18 pm

I loaded up the parts car last weekend and brought it home. I have also found an FI block for the Fastback. I still have the carb heads from the previous engine so those can be redone and put onto the engine block I found. This Square will donate rockers and channels to the Fastback and possibly a nose.

19super73 Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:27 pm

I want to use the doors from the '73 as the ones on the Fastback have rust through. Will there be an issue of the i1970 style interior elbow rests/door pulls lining up and fitting with 1973 doors.? I know the doors will swap.

KTPhil Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:37 pm

I think they will swap, but the '73s have reinforced doors (at least in the US) and that MIGHT have changed something.

W1K1 Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:30 am

that square has been sitting for a while if it came with those Volkswagen Canada bias plies on it

19super73 Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:17 pm

I found a vin# search paper in the glovebox that showed it was active around Medicine Hat and area in about 1986-7. You can see that the right rear tire has the tread coming off. The VW Canada tires still held air.

The rockers and pan are incredibly solid. The pan has no holes and the rockers are great!