TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: New battery
ringo65 Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:00 am

I'm replacing my 76 SB vert's battery & have been advised to buy one with recessed terminals. Pros/cons?

gt1953 Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:03 am

The group 42 battery is the stock replacement. Not sure what you currently have.

pyrOman Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:06 am

Did just that recently for my '70 Bug. I think it's wise to do so. Before that, I had a piece of rubber mat over the battery. Though my Bug has hardly EVER seen any ass sitting in the back, that is the issue with the top posts batteries as the seat springs "could" make contact and cross the battery. No fun! [-X

ringo65 Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:17 am

Yes, I found that on Autozone.com 42-DL. What about battery boxes? The only good I see is it makes it easier to remove the battery.

Cusser Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:07 am

Just use the Autozone group 42 battery, and the stock mount to secure it from bouncing. That's what's in my 1971.

I believe most batteries these days have a strap to make lifting and carrying easier anyway.

Like aren't 85+% of the batteries in USA made by same company anyway, Johnson Controls?

Cali_Army_Guy Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:14 pm

Cusser wrote:

Like aren't 85+% of the batteries in USA made by same company anyway, Johnson Controls?

Yep. Even the Kirkland brand batteries at Costco are made by Johnson Controls.

e&m_ghia Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:39 pm

Cali_Army_Guy wrote: Cusser wrote:

Unless you want to spend a bunch more money, for instance for a dry-cell (that even fits nicely under a Ghia back seat)…

Zundfolge1432 Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:11 am

Cali_Army_Guy wrote: Cusser wrote:

Like wow like.